One of my New Year’s resolutions is to eat healthier, exercise more, and hopefully, lose a little weight. I know it’s a total cliche, but there you have it!
To help kick start my resolution and to hold myself accountable, I’m starting a monthly series called Motivation Monday. For me, healthy living is all about motivation. It’s about finding the motivation to cook instead of order takeout, go for a walk, or skip a second helping (my biggest downfall).
Each Motivation Monday post will feature easy tips and a healthy recipe. For my first post, I’m focusing on healthy snacks and I’ve rounded up over 20 great ideas for you!
But first, I’m sharing one of my favorite snacks: Spicy Chile Pepper Edamame. You are going to love this quick and satisfying snack!
Spicy Chile Pepper Edamame
Makes 1 Serving
- 1/2 cup frozen, shelled edamame
- chili powder
Place edamame in a small microwavable bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with chili powder and salt to taste. Mix well and enjoy!
- Moderation is key even with healthy foods. It’s not healthy if you eat too much, so avoid anything that triggers you to overeat.
- Think about what you’re craving. Don’t eat celery sticks if you want carbs!
- Plan your snacks in advance. I like to keep a variety at my desk for an afternoon pick-me-up, and I always pack something when traveling (nuts or energy bars are perfect).
- Avoid highly-processed foods. Make you own, so you know what’s in it.
- Before eating, ask yourself if you are really hungry. If not, try drinking a glass of water, reading a book, or taking a walk instead.
Okay, on to the fun part: I’ve rounded up over 20 great snacks to satisfy any craving, and I’ve included some of my favorites!
Crunchy apples pair perfectly with nut butter (I like almond butter). Nut butter is expensive, so this year, I want to make my own. Here are a few recipes I’m curious to try:
- Cinnamon Hazelnut Butter from Scaling Back
- Toasted Pecan Pumpkin Butter from The Messy Baker
- Maple Almond Butter from Tracy’s Culinary Adventures
Paleo Banana Bread – photo courtesy of elanaspantry.com
Conquer a Carb Craving with a Paleo Substitute
I don’t follow a Paleo diet, but I do love Paleo baked goods which are super moist and a great sub for heavy carbohydrates.
- Paleo Banana Bread from Elana’s Pantry (one of my favorites!)
- Healthy Almond Meal Banana Muffins (with a secret chocolate center) from Honest Fare
- Paleo Pumpkin Walnut Muffins from Carrots ‘n’ Cake (so good!)
- Paleo Chocolate Banana Muffins from Yummy Mummy Kitchen
Sweet and Salty Banana Chips – photo courtesy of abeautifulmess.com
Try Something Sweet and Savory/Salty
One of my favorite flavor combinations is sweet and salty. These snacks are perfect for tackling two cravings at once!
- Grape Stuffed Goat Cheese from Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body
- Sweet and Salty Banana Chips from A Beautiful Mess
- Sweet and Salty Primal Trail Mix from Mark’s Daily Apple
Serve a Creamy Dip with Crunchy Veggies
Not all dips are unhealthy. Look for one made with beans, veggies, and fresh herbs. Avoid dips made with cream cheese, mayo, and other heavy ingredients.
- Cilantro Lime Black Bean Dip from The Teenage Taste
- Quick and Easy Hummus – 3 Ways from me!
- Kale, Spinach, and Artichoke Dip with Greek Yogurt from So … Let’s Hang Out
- Edamame Hummus from Skinny Taste
“No Bake Cookie” Bars – photo courtesy of minimalistbaker.com
Make Your Own Energy Bars and Bites
Some energy bars are not as healthy as you might think. Have you ever read the label? Make your own, and you’ll know exactly what is in it.
- Chocolate Almond Cherry Energy Bites from Blissful Blog
- “No Bake Cookie” Bars from Minimalist Baker (delicious!)
- Coconut Cream Larabars from My Whole Food Life
Roasted chickpeas are crunchy and delicious, and there are so many ways to cook them, both sweet and savory.
- Indian Roasted Chickpeas from A Spicy Perspective
- Roasted Chickpeas 4 Ways from Modern Parents Messy Kids
- Sriracha Roasted Chickpeas from Heather’s French Press
My Spicy Chocolate “Cookies”
Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
What snack roundup would be complete without something sweet?
- Raw Almond Butter Cups from Oh She Glows (so good – like a healthy peanut butter cup!)
- Spicy Chocolate “Cookies” from me!
- Almond Butter Cocoa Truffles from A House in the Hills
- Fruity Chocolate Bark from Love & Olive Oil
What is your favorite snack?