This recipe is sponsored by Viva Vantage. All opinions are my own.
Treat yourself to this crave-worthy Mushroom Ricotta Open-Faced Sandwich! It's a delicious and easy mushroom ricotta recipe that mushroom lovers will go nuts for!
Do you ever get stuck in a rut? I know I do.
I tend to eat the same thing for breakfast, follow a similar routine every day, and wear an identical outfit over and over (even though there are plenty of other clothes in my closet).
One place I always love trying new things is in the kitchen. Experimenting with recipes is just so fun. Mushrooms have always been a fave ingredients of mine, and I love coming up with creative recipes that use them ... like this amazing open-faced Mushroom Sandwich!
This delicious Mushroom Ricotta Open-Faced Sandwich is guaranteed to be a fave of yours, too, especially if you like mushrooms as much as I do ... it's cheesy, creamy, and packed with tasty mushroom. Yum!
Mushroom Ricotta Open-Faced Sandwich
If you love mushrooms, this hot vegetarian open-faced sandwich recipe is for you. These sandwiches are cheesy, creamy, and so delicious ... total comfort food.
Just look at all that cheese. This is definitely a fork and knife sandwich situation!
Mushrooms and ricotta are such a great combination. Rich ricotta pairs perfectly with warm, earthy mushrooms, and this hot open-faced sandwich is such a unique way to eat them together.
Give this delicious mushroom ricotta recipe a try. It's the perfect fall / winter recipe!
Great Mushroom Cleaning Tip
Did you know that mushrooms are super porous, and if you rinse or soak them, they absorb a lot of water? The resulting water-logged mushrooms won't brown well, which is the key to delicious mushrooms.
So how do you clean mushrooms? I attended an event with Viva Vantage recently and learned lots of creative ideas for using their paper towels. As a mushroom lover though, my favorite idea was a simple mushroom cleaning tip!
Instead of rinsing your mushrooms, clean them with a damp paper towel. Simply wet the paper towel, ring it out, and wipe the mushroom clean. Smart, right?
With their great scrubbing power, Viva Vantage towels are perfect for this. Plus, they're strong enough to be rinsed and reused when they get dirty.
How to Make a Mushroom Ricotta Open-Faced Sandwich
This Mushroom Ricotta Open-Faced Sandwich is really easy to make.
You'll start by sauteing onions, and then adding the star of this sandwich: lots of mushrooms. Feel free to use your favorite mushrooms for this mushroom sandwich: white, brown, portabella, wild ... they all work.
Take your time and cook the mushrooms until they are golden and delicious. When the mushrooms reach that perfect, lightly browned point, you'll finish them with fresh garlic. It adds so much flavor!
The other key component to this Mushroom Sandwich Melt is the ricotta filling. And it's so easy to prepare!
To make it, mix together ricotta and fresh chives (which help brighten the flavor), then season to taste with salt and pepper.
So simple, right?
Assembling the Open-Faced Sandwiches
Now that your main components are ready, it's time to assemble your hot vegetarian open-faced sandwiches.
Make sure to choose a really good quality bread ... it will make all the difference in the finished sandwiches. You want something with a nice chewy texture.
You'll top the bread with a generous spread of creamy ricotta cheese, a layer of garlicky mushrooms, and finally a sprinkle of Gruyere cheese (one of my fave cheeses!).
Bake those babies until the toppings are hot and ooey-gooey, and the bread is toasted and crunchy. Yum!
Then comes the best part ... time to eat.
Grab a fork and knife, you'll need it for this mouthwatering Mushroom Ricotta Open-Faced Sandwich!
This sandwich is total comfort food, perfect for those chilly fall and winter days when you want something to warm you up. Give a try. It's sure to become a family favorite!
Love these Mushroom Sandwich Melts?
Don't you just want to take a big bite of that Mushroom Ricotta Open-Faced Sandwich? I know I do!
If you loved this recipe, make sure to check out my other recipes for mushroom lovers!
- Creamy Mushroom Strudels
- Mushroom Swiss Veggie Burgers
- Mini Cheese Tarts with Pan Roasted Mushrooms
- Grilled Portabello Poblano Tacos
- Mushroom and Spinach Quesadillas
- Mushroom, Kale, and Cheddar Quiche
- Garlicky Mushroom and Bean Tortas
Mushroom Ricotta Open-Faced Sandwich
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 24 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta
- 2 tablespoons chives, minced (divided)
- 4 slices rustic-style bread (sliced thick)
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion to pan and saute until browned, stirring frequently.
- Stir mushrooms into pan and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are almost completely browned.
- Reduced heat to medium and allow pan to cool for a couple minutes.
- Mix garlic into mushrooms and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove mushrooms from heat, then season generously with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine ricotta with 1 tbsp. chives, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lightly brush one side of each bread slice with olive oil. Place slices oil side down on the baking sheet.
- Top each bread slice with ricotta, then mushrooms.
- Sprinkle each sandwich with Gruyere cheese.
- Bake sandwiches for about 15 minutes, or until toppings are hot and bread is browned on bottom.
- Remove sandwiches from oven, then sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon chives.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
What is your favorite sandwich recipe?