This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
Learn how to make homemade crackers … it’s so easy!
Pair these flavorful Herb Parmesan Crackers with a delicious spread, grapes, and a bottle of your favorite wine for a memorable get together with family and friends!
This post contains affiliate links.
There’s nothing more relaxing to me than kicking back with a great bottle of wine (or two!) and enjoying a lazy afternoon with friends. It’s the perfect way to let go of the cares of the day and just enjoy each others company, especially on a warm summer day. It doesn’t get much better!
My friends love to eat, so it wouldn’t be a party without delicious food, too. And it’s impossible to go wrong with a classic combo like cheese and crackers, which pairs so well with wine.
I’ve always wanted to learn how to make crackers from scratch, and I finally tried it. After experimenting with different recipes and flavors, I discovered that it couldn’t be easier to make homemade crackers.
These Herb Parmesan Crackers are ready in minutes, but don’t tell that to your guests … just let them be super impressed that you made your own cheese crackers!
Herb Parmesan Crackers
If you’ve ever wanted to learn how to make crackers from scratch, this is the recipe for you.
I know homemade crackers might seem a little fiddly, but I promise you that making these crackers couldn’t be easier. Plus, they’re packed with so much flavor … rich Parmesan cheese, fragrant herbs … yum!
And these tasty cheese crackers are so perfect for parties. Pair them with a delicious spread, a big bunch of grapes, and a bottle of Chardonnay for easy, yet elegant entertaining.
I especially love these Herb Parmesan Crackers with Notable chardonnay, which comes in two distinct flavor profiles: oaky and buttery or fruity and crisp. Notable is the first wine that highlights these profiles right on the front of the label, which makes choosing the perfect wine so simple.
If you’ve ever stood in the wine aisle totally perplexed (I’ve been there), this wine is for you! Wines can vary in style, region, and taste, but most labels don’t define the delightful flavor you’re about to sip. Notable wine elegantly showcases its taste right on the front label to lead you to the wine you want … just follow the flavor notes!
Are you looking for a fun wine tasting idea? Pair these wines up for a Blind Wine Tasting! Check out my Blind Wine Tasting Tips here, and get free printables, like bottle labels, wine tasting score cards, and party invites.
How to Make Homemade Crackers
Once you see how easy it is to make your own crackers, you’ll want to enjoy them all the time. Not only are they delicious, but they have none of the junk you’ll find in store bought crackers … love that!
To start, you’re going to mix together your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, and salt).
I flavored my crackers with Parmesan cheese, dried basil and thyme, and a little garlic powder, and these ingredients get mixed in with the flour, too. If you’d like to customize the flavorings, check out my tips after the recipe.
Then, you’ll stir in a little olive oil and water. And that’s really all there is to making the cracker dough … it takes 10 minutes max!
After your dough is mixed, you’ll roll it out super thin. Aim for about 1/8-inch or less. The thinner your crackers are, the crispier they’ll be once they’re baked.
Next you’ll add the toppings: sesame and poppy seeds, plus a sprinkle of salt. I made half of my crackers with sesame and poppy seeds, and half without. Both were delish!
The trick to cutting the crackers quickly is using a pizza cutter. It goes so fast! And then your homemade cheese crackers can be baked to golden perfection.
Cook them on parchment paper for easy clean up.
Honestly, the hardest thing about these yummy Herb Parmesan Crackers is trying not to eat the whole batch. They’re that good! So make a batch, invite your friends over, and serve them with your favorite Notable Chardonnay!
Tips for Customizing Your Homemade Cheese Crackers
I love the combination of Parmesan and herbs in this recipe for homemade crackers.
My Herb Parmesan Crackers recipe is just a fun starting point though, so feel free to customize the flavors to your taste. Here are some easy ideas:
- Replace half of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour to make whole grain crackers.
- Use different herbs and spices. Pretty much anything from rosemary to fennel or even chili powder and cumin will work, so get creative.
- Swap in a different cheese, like cheddar or Gouda, for the Parmesan. I recommend using a harder, aged cheese. Avoid soft cheeses because they might change the consistency of your dough.
- Cut your crackers into different shapes and sizes.
However you flavor them, you are sure to love this easy cracker recipe!
Parmesan Herb Crackers
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- parchment paper
For Topping (optional):
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp coarse or flaky salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place oven rack in lower third of oven.
- Mix together flour, Parmesan, sugar, salt, basil, thyme, and garlic powder with a fork.
- Stir in olive oil and water until a ball of dough forms.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a flat surface; sprinkle lightly with flour.
- Transfer half of the dough to the parchment paper and shape into a rough rectangle.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out dough until it's about 1/8-inch thick (or less).
- Sprinkle dough with half of the toppings, if using, then lightly press toppings into dough using your hands. Prick dough all over with a fork.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into rectangles about 1 x 2-inches. (No need to measure and don't worry if some of your crackers aren't perfectly rectangular. They'll still taste great.)
- Transfer parchment paper to a baking sheet, then separate crackers slightly.
- Repeat process with remaining dough.
- Bake crackers until browned on edges, about 12 to 15 minutes. (If some of the crackers on the outside of your pan brown faster, remove them so they don't burn, then continue baking other crackers.)
- Cool crackers on baking sheet, then serve immediately or store in an airtight container until ready to use. Enjoy!
Serving Your Baked Crackers
Looking for something to pair these yummy crackers with? Then, check out my tips for arranging an easy cheese plate.
Or pair them with one of my fave dips or spreads:
- Creamy Lemon Artichoke Spread
- Ricotta Blue Cheese Spread
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
And if you love wine, make sure to check our my Easy Wine and Chocolate Pairing Tips, too!
What is your favorite wine and food pairing?