This yummy Parmesan Pepper Popcorn is the perfect addition to your next movie night ... and it's so easy to make!
This post contains affiliate links.
As much as I love a night out, I often enjoy spending my nights relaxing at home even more. There's nothing better on a cool fall night (we're going to get some of those soon, right?), than cuddling up under a blanket and watching a movie or two.
My husband and I have had quite a few movie nights lately, and what do movie nights call for? Popcorn, and lots of it!
I like to dress mine up a bit with cheese and other seasonings. My favorite combination is Parmesan Pepper Popcorn.
Parmesan Pepper Popcorn
When we moved to New York, I gave away my popcorn popper. It definitely made sense at the time (there's no room in my tiny kitchen), but I still regretted that decision for a while.
Thankfully, I learned how to make stove top popcorn and was able to fill my popcorn void 😉
Stove top popcorn doesn't take a ton of effort, so whether you have a popcorn maker or not, this Parmesan Pepper Popcorn is an easy treat!
Parmesan Pepper Popcorn
- ½ cup popcorn
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- pepper, to taste
- Place popcorn, olive oil, and salt in a large pot. Stir well. The oil should coat every kernel of corn.
- Cover the pot and place over medium heat.
- Shake the pot continuously back and forth over the burner. The popcorn will start popping after a few minutes. Use potholders to protect your hands from the heat.
- Continue shaking the pot until you hear about 3 - 4 seconds between pops.
- Remove pot from heat and transfer popcorn to a large serving bowl.
- Melt butter in the microwave or in a small skillet.
- Drizzle a third of the butter over the popcorn. Top with additional salt (if desired), pepper to taste, and ⅓ of the Parmesan. Mix popcorn well.
- Repeat the previous step.
- Finish by topping popcorn with remaining butter and Parmesan, plus salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Movie Night Essentials
Of course, I have a few other movie night essentials, too!
Cozy Pajamas / Salted Caramel Cocoa / Popcorn Bowl / Slippers / Throw / Jelly Beans / 7: Waitress, Hairspray, Sideways, Amelie, Happy-Go-Lucky
Since I'm staying in, I like to get as cozy as possible. That usually means pajamas and slippers, plus a comfy throw to wrap up in. A few snacks and drinks are necessary, too. Swedish fish, jelly beans, and hot cocoa top my list. I love fun popcorn bowls, too, like the set above (it says "more popcorn, please!" on the inside).
As far as movies go, I love indie flicks and quirky main characters. These are the movies that I've watched too many times to count:
- Waitress: Such a sweet story.
- Hairspray: So fun!
- Sideways: Reminds me of California and good wine.
- Amelie: Super charming protagonist.
- Happy-Go-Lucky: I love the quirky lead!
What are your favorite movies?
Oh yum! I bet this is addicting! Pinned. Hugs! Lou Lou Girls
Yum! Love flavored popcorn! Thanks for sharing with us at Your Designs This Time.
Emily & Erin
Oh my gosh Ginnie, we love pepper on our popcorn! When we went vegan my husband (Alex's dad) started putting olive oil on the popcorn instead of butter. It is outrageously good! I'll have to make a separate bowl for him so he can try the Parmesan on his. He's a vegetarian, but not ready to make the leap to vegan.
We do a Friday Happy Hour post every week and you have just given me inspiration! I'll give you credit for the idea. 🙂 Thank you!!
This totally makes me want Saturday night to come so me and hubs can relax! I LOVE popcorn! Parm and pepper combo sounds great! Mmmm