This yummy Parmesan Pepper Popcorn is the perfect addition to your next movie night … and it’s so easy to make!
This post contains affiliate links.
As much as I love a night out, I often enjoy spending my nights relaxing at home even more. There’s nothing better on a cool fall night (we’re going to get some of those soon, right?), than cuddling up under a blanket and watching a movie or two.
My husband and I have had quite a few movie nights lately, and what do movie nights call for? Popcorn, and lots of it!
I like to dress mine up a bit with cheese and other seasonings. My favorite combination is Parmesan Pepper Popcorn.
Parmesan Pepper Popcorn
When we moved to New York, I gave away my popcorn popper. It definitely made sense at the time (there’s no room in my tiny kitchen), but I still regretted that decision for a while.
Thankfully, I learned how to make stove top popcorn and was able to fill my popcorn void 😉
Stove top popcorn doesn’t take a ton of effort, so whether you have a popcorn maker or not, this Parmesan Pepper Popcorn is an easy treat!
Parmesan Pepper Popcorn
- 1/2 cup popcorn
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- pepper, to taste
- Place popcorn, olive oil, and salt in a large pot. Stir well. The oil should coat every kernel of corn.
- Cover the pot and place over medium heat.
- Shake the pot continuously back and forth over the burner. The popcorn will start popping after a few minutes. Use potholders to protect your hands from the heat.
- Continue shaking the pot until you hear about 3 - 4 seconds between pops.
- Remove pot from heat and transfer popcorn to a large serving bowl.
- Melt butter in the microwave or in a small skillet.
- Drizzle a third of the butter over the popcorn. Top with additional salt (if desired), pepper to taste, and 1/3 of the Parmesan. Mix popcorn well.
- Repeat the previous step.
- Finish by topping popcorn with remaining butter and Parmesan, plus salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Movie Night Essentials
Of course, I have a few other movie night essentials, too!
Since I’m staying in, I like to get as cozy as possible. That usually means pajamas and slippers, plus a comfy throw to wrap up in. A few snacks and drinks are necessary, too. Swedish fish, jelly beans, and hot cocoa top my list. I love fun popcorn bowls, too, like the set above (it says “more popcorn, please!” on the inside).
As far as movies go, I love indie flicks and quirky main characters. These are the movies that I’ve watched too many times to count:
- Waitress: Such a sweet story.
- Hairspray: So fun!
- Sideways: Reminds me of California and good wine.
- Amelie: Super charming protagonist.
- Happy-Go-Lucky: I love the quirky lead!
What are your favorite movies?