Treat yourself to one of my family's favorite holiday recipes, Poppy Seed Kiss Cookies!
Do you enjoy baking during the holidays?
I usually set aside a day or two to make all of my favorite cookies, plus a few new recipes that look too good to resist.
It's a tradition that my mom started with my sister and I years ago. Now that I live so far away from where I grew up, baking my family favorites is a great way to carry on the fun.
I have a few cookie recipes that I always make (my family's Pecan Fingers, Mini Chocolate Chip Cheesecakes, and Honey Cookies are all faves), and I always bake is my mom's Poppy Seed Kiss Cookies, too.
Poppy Seed Kiss Cookies
You are going to adore this unique and delicious poppy seed thumbprint cookie!
These delicious Poppy Seed Cookies feature a rich, buttery dough specked with poppy seeds. The chocolate kisses are the perfect finishing touch.
I love how unique these wonderful cookies are. And I know that once you try the recipe, they'll become a favorite of yours, too!
How to Make Poppy Seed Cookies
I absolutely love these Poppy Seed Kiss Cookies! The yummy flavor brings me straight back to my childhood, and I can never resist grabbing one (or three) when I walk by a platter.
This is definitely a cookie you could eat year round, but I think of these poppy seed cookies as a holiday cookie. I guess old habits die hard!
Unlike many Christmas cookies, these Poppy Seed Kiss Cookies are a snap to make. After preparing the easy dough, you'll roll it into balls, add a thumbprint, then bake the cookies until they're golden on the bottom.
Once the cookies come out of the oven, simply add the chocolate kisses while the cookies are still hot.
I can hardly wait for these Poppy Seed Kiss Cookies to cool down before taking a bite. And I rarely do!
They are wonderfully tender, and the poppy seeds give the cookies a unique, delicious flavor. Of course, the chocolate doesn't hurt either.
Add these Poppy Seed Kiss Cookies to your holiday rotation this year ... they just might become a tradition for your family, too!
Looking for more Christmas Cookies recipes?
If you loved these delicious Poppy Seed Cookies then make sure to check out my other favorite Christmas cookies:
- Nona’s Pecan Fingers
- Mini Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cupcakes (Black Bottoms)
- Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies
- Ginger Spice Cookies
- White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
- Salted Caramel Pretzel Cookies
- Curry Shortbread Cookies
- Honey Cookies
Looking for even more Christmas cookie recipes? Then you’re in luck, because I’m joining some of my fave food bloggers for the Sweetest Season Cookie Exchange, hosted by Erin at The Speckled Palate! This awesome virtual cookbook has hundreds of delicious cookie recipes from some of my fave food bloggers, and I know you'll find a few cookies to fall in love with.
Poppy Seed Kiss Cookies
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 36 chocolate kisses, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Cream together butter, sugar, and salt until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and egg yolks (one at a time); blend thoroughly.
- Mix in flour, then add poppy seeds.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place on cookie sheet.
- Use your thumb to make an indentation in the top of each cookie.
- Bake cookies until lightly browned on bottom, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven and immediately top each with a chocolate kiss.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container. Enjoy!
What is your favorite Christmas cookie recipe?