Learn how to make Quick Pickled Onions … this easy pickled onion recipe is ready fast, super delicious, and has so many uses!
This post contains affiliate links.
You know what makes a meal special? It’s the finishing touches.
Whether that’s a sprinkle of rich, salty cheese, a dash of fresh herbs, or a squeeze of lemon, the right garnish can enhance flavors and elevate the whole dish. I love adding these yummy finishing touches to my cooking!
I traveled to Charlotte, North Carolina a couple months ago, and while I was there, I ate at some really amazing restaurants. Each place was unique, but funnily enough, two of the dishes I ate featured pickled onions. And they were so delish.
I’ve always loved pickled onions, so I had to make a batch as soon as I returned home. These Quick Pickled Onions are the perfect addition to almost any meal, and they’re ready in an hour … no canning required!
Quick Pickled Onions
You’re going to love these easy pickled onions! They have a sweet, tangy flavor that’s so delicious, and they have a million uses.
I love the way these pretty pink onions brighten up all sorts of dishes from sandwiches to salads to tacos. And they’re great for snacking on, too!
The best part though? You can make this pickled onion recipe in one hour.
And there are no complicated methods or canning required!
How to Make Pickled Onions
These Quick Pickled Onions are super delicious and ready fast!
And there’s no fancy ingredients needed:
- Red Onions
- White Wine Vinegar
That’s it! You probably already have the ingredients in your kitchen.
This easy pickled onion recipe is the perfect way to use up half an onion or a few onions (just double or triple the recipe). You can also make this recipe with white or yellow onions … they just won’t turn that pretty pink color.
I planned to use my onions as soon as they were ready, so I made them in a bowl. But you can make these pickled onions right in a jar for easier storage (a pint-sized mason jar would be perfect).
To get started, combine the vinegar, sugar, and salt in a mason jar, bowl, or measuring cup. Microwave this vinegar mixture until hot, about 45 to 60 minutes. Don’t have a microwave? You can warm the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat, too.
Stir the hot vinegar mixture until the sugar and salt dissolve. Then, add a thinly sliced red onion. Refrigerate the onions for an hour, or until you’re ready to use them.
As the onions sit in the refrigerator, they’ll soften up and turn pink. You can store these sweet pickled onions in the fridge for up to two weeks, and they’ll get softer and pinker (eventually turning a uniform shade) the longer they sit.
How to Use Pickled Onions
Now that you know how to make pickled onions, how do you use them?
Pickled red onions are so versatile! Here are a few ideas for using pickled onions:
- Enjoy the onions as a snack. They’re super tasty and lack the sharp flavor of raw onions.
- Use them as a replacement for raw onions in many recipes. They’d be delicious in this Italian Pasta Salad.
- Add a pop of flavor to simple recipes, like Black Beans and Rice.
- Chop up these Quick Pickled Red Onions and use them to top deviled eggs.
- Use the marinated onions as a salad garnish. Try them on my Easy Kale Salad or in the place of the raw onions in this Greek Quinoa Salad.
- Add them to a cheese plate or serve them with crudité.
- Top burgers and sandwiches with these pink pickled onions. They’re amazing on this Hummus Sandwich with Pesto and Veggies, and would be delish on this Tomato Avocado Sandwich or these Black Bean Edamame Burgers.
- Use them as a topping for bagels. They’re a bright contrast to rich cream cheese.
- Serve the onions with tacos and other Mexican food, like these Bean and Cheese Tostadas, Roasted Veggie Fajitas, or Grilled Portabella Poblano Tacos.
- Use them as a garnish for dips or guacamole.
- Add them to a grain bowl. I love them in this Mediterranean Quinoa Bowl.
- Serve the onions with eggs and omelets.
- Top a freshly baked pizza with the pickled onions. They’d be a great complement to this Gorgonzola Pear Pizza.
Now that you know how to use them, what are you waiting for?
Make a batch of these Quick Pickled Onions today!
Learn how to make these Quick Pickled Onions ... they're ready fast, super delish, and have so many uses!
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
Combine vinegar, sugar, and salt in a pint sized jar or small bowl.
Microwave for 45 to 60 seconds, or until hot. Stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.
Add red onions, then mix.
Refrigerate onions for one hour or until ready to eat.
After an hour, onions are ready to eat. Enjoy!
Leftover onions can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Love these Pickled Red Onions?
Once you learn how to make these onions, you’ll find a million uses for them!
Here are a few of my recipes that use them:
Have you ever tried pickled red onions? What is your favorite way to use them?