This Savory Tomato, Feta, and Basil Pie post is sponsored by Nikos Feta. All opinions are my own.
Treat yourself to this Tomato, Feta, and Basil Pie! This Tomato Basil Pie is a fun twist on the Southern classic, full of fresh flavors, and easy to make!
Have you ever eaten something unexpected and then couldn't stop thinking about it?
A couple years ago, my husband and I went to a dinner party, and one of the dishes our hosts served was a fresh tomato pie. I'd never had tomato pie before (it's a Southern thing, and I'm a Northern girl), but it was absolutely amazing.
It was the peak of summer. The tomatoes were bursting with flavor, and the rich, savory pie was the perfect way to show them off.
I've been meaning to recreate that vegetarian pie ever since, and I finally did ... but of course, I had to put my own spin on it! This Savory Tomato, Feta, and Basil Pie is the result, and I know that you're going to love it just as much as I do.
Savory Tomato, Feta, and Basil Pie
I'm sure you've had feta on salads, but have you tried it in other recipes? It's also makes an extra zesty hummus, is amazing with pasta, and tops pizza perfectly.
Feta is one of my favorite cheeses, and I will use it in just about anything. So when I decided to create this Savory Tomato, Feta, and Basil Pie, I knew that Nikos® feta would make it extra delicious.
And it does! Feta is a natural pair for classic summer flavors like tomatoes and basil, and it definitely perks up this easy tomato pie recipe.
Give it a try the next time you have garden fresh tomatoes!
How to Make Tomato Basil Pie
If you want to experiment with the classic tomato pie recipe, this Savory Tomato, Feta, and Basil Pie is a great place to start! It's filled with layers of wonderful flavors, and it's so easy to make.
Since tomatoes contain a lot of water, you'll start by slicing and draining the tomatoes in a colander. If your tomatoes are extra juicy, you can remove the seeds, too.
Then, you'll saute some onions and make an easy pie crust. It's totally fine to use a premade crust, but it won't be as good ... just saying!
You'll also mix together some mayo and mozzarella cheese.
Does that sounds weird? I promise that you won't taste the mayonnaise in the finished pie. It melts into the tomatoes and makes this tomato mozzarella pie hold together.
And it really does taste truly delicious!
Layering the Tomato Pie Ingredients
After the pie crust and onions are ready, it's time to start layering your ingredients.
You start with a little cheese on the bottom, followed by those sauteed onions. The tomatoes come next, then the feta and fresh basil. The mayo mixture is the finishing touch.
Mmm ... I'm getting hungry just thinking about the delicious layers of tomato, basil, and feta!
Everything gets baked to perfection, and then it's time to eat. Are you ready to dig in?
This Savory Tomato, Feta, and Basil Pie may just be the perfect summer meal. Simply add a salad and a glass of wine (a dry rose would be perfect), and dinner is served!
So grab those fresh summer tomatoes and make this delicious tomato basil pie tonight!
Savory Tomato, Feta, and Basil Pie
- 3 large tomatoes
For Pie Crust:
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- 2 to 4 tablespoons ice water
For Pie Filling:
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 (6-ounce) package crumbled feta cheese
- handful of basil leaves, julienned
- Thinly slice the tomatoes and layer in a colander to drain, sprinkling each layer with salt. Set aside while you prepare the other ingredients.
Make pie crust:
- Add the flour and salt to a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Cut butter into cubes and add to flour. Pulse into well combined.
- Sprinkle flour mixture with a couple tablespoons of water. Pulse until a dough forms, adding more water (one tbsp. at a time), if necessary.
- Remove dough from food processor. Shape into a ball, then flatten it into a disk.
- Cover dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, then add onions and saute until browned.
- Stir garlic into onions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Season with salt and remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- Take tomatoes out of colander and blot dry with paper towels.
- Combine mayonnaise and ½ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove chilled dough from refrigerator and roll it out about ⅛ inch thick.
- Place the dough in a pie pan and trim any excess dough from the edges.
- Cover bottom of pie with remaining ½ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Top mozzarella with onions.
- Place a layer of tomatoes over the onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle half the feta over the tomatoes.
- Cover the feta with half of the basil.
- Add another layer of tomatoes, salt, pepper, feta, and basil (in that order).
- Cover the basil with a final layer of tomatoes, season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture over the top of the pie.
- Place pie in oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until top of pie and crust are a deep golden brown.
- Let pie cool for about 10 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve. Enjoy!
Love this Tomato Feta Pie?
Now that you know how to make a tomato pie, here are some of my favorite recipes featuring feta cheese:
- Broccoli, Feta, and Olive Calzones
- Greek Veggie Burgers with Cucumber Feta Sauce
- Feta Stuffed Mini Bell Peppers
- Quinoa with Roasted Tomatoes, Kale, and Feta
- Pesto, Feta, and Veggie Pizza (also Green Pizza with Pesto, Feta, Artichokes, and Broccoli AND Homemade Deep Dish Pizza with Broccoli, Spinach, and Feta ... yum!)
Told you I loved feta cheese!
What is your favorite way to use feta cheese?