Wake up to these delicious + easy Spicy Black Beans Cakes ... topped with a fried egg, avocado, and tomato, they make the perfect breakfast!
Breakfast has never been my favorite meal, so it's kind of funny that I'm sharing two breakfast recipes in a row (see my Mango Parfait from last week). How did that happen?
I think it's the eggs. When I was a kid, I refused to eat them unless they were scrambled or hard-boiled. They've slowly grown on me over the years, and I've even graduated to runny yolks.
These Spicy Black Bean Cakes with Egg, Avocado, and Tomato are one of my favorite ways to show off a beautiful fried egg!
Spicy Black Bean Cakes
You are going to love these mildly spicy black bean cakes that are packed with healthy vegetables.
A fried egg, fresh avocado, and sweet tomatoes complete the dish, which is equally delicious for breakfast and dinner!
Spicy Black Bean Cakes with Egg, Avocado & Tomato
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium bell peppers, chopped (any color)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- non-stick cooking spray
- 4 large eggs
- ½ pint grape tomatoes, quartered or halved (depending on size)
- 1 avocado, pitted and chopped
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil (reserve remaining oil) in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add peppers and onions to skillet and cook, stirring frequently.
- When peppers and onions are browned around the edges, add garlic, cumin, oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes to skillet.
- Stirring constantly, cook until spices and garlic are fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt.
- While peppers and onions are cooking, add black beans to a large bowl and mash about ¾ of the beans.
- When pepper mixture is ready, add it to the beans and stir well.
- Add pepper Jack cheese and cilantro to bean mixture and blend well. Season to taste with salt.
- Shape bean mixture into 8 patties.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add patties to skillet. Cook until browned on one side and then flip.
- While patties cook, spray a small skillet with non-stick cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Remove eggs from shells and add to small skillet
- Sprinkle eggs with salt and cook until whites are completely set. Remove from heat.
- To serve, place 2 black bean patties on each plate. Top patties with a fried egg and chopped tomatoes and avocado. Sprinkle with additional cilantro, if desired.
Was there a food you refused to eat as a kid?
Mmmmm... So yummy.
This sounds like such a delicious recipe! I want those black bean cakes!! Pinning & sharing - thanks!
Ha ha ... thanks, Cathy!
OMG, this looks great! I love cooking with black beans, they go with everything! Thanks for sharing this with us. I Pinned it to the party board. 🙂
Thanks so much, Marty! Black beans are one of my favorites, too.
You are right about that egg being beautiful! I love how it's top and center on that yummy black bean cake! This is such a pretty breakfast, Ginnie! Thanks for sharing on Saturday Night Fever - pinned to our group board!
Thank you so much, Jen! I think the egg is the perfect finishing touch:)
I think I might like this!! Sounds yummy!
Thank you! It makes a great breakfast - give it a try:)
What a fresh looking breakfast! Everything is better with an egg on top.
That's true, Connie:) Thanks for stopping by!
Yum, this looks delicious. I'm a huge fan of avocado. Pinning it to try! (found you through #wineddown )
Thanks for stopping by, Celeste! Let me know if you try it:)
This looks SO delicious....I just need someone to make it for me. 😉 And breakfast is not your favorite meal?! Say what? I am the total opposite. I don't think I've met a breakfast food I didn't like!
On the Daily Express
I know ... I'm in the minority on my dislike of breakfast;) It's growing on me though!