This Spicy Chipotle Hummus is a crave-worthy treat that's full of flavor, healthy, easy to make, and ready in minutes ... the perfect appetizer or snack!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
With all the extra time spent at home lately, my snacking is at an all-time high. And not only are those afternoon cravings ever present, they're also feeling extra strong.
So why resist? Personally, I'm giving in and enjoying my favorite healthy treats, like this mouthwatering Chipotle Hummus!
This delicious dip is spicy, smoky, smooth, and creamy ... basically, totally addictive. Plus, you can pair it with almost anything—from fresh veggies to salty, crunchy tortilla or pita chips—which means its perfect for satisfying any snack craving.
Ready to try it for yourself? It only takes a few minutes to whip up a batch, so keep reading for all the details!
You're going to love this tasty, Mexican-inspired twist on the classic Middle Eastern dip! The recipe uses simple ingredients you can find in almost any grocery store ... here's what you'll need:
- Chickpeas - Canned chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) form the base of your dip. You can also cook them from scratch if you prefer.
- Tahini - This sesame seed paste is essential for giving this dip its authentic flavor, so don't skip it . Look for it in your grocery store's international aisle or near the nut butters. If your grocery store doesn't carry tahini, check your local Middle Eastern / Mediterranean market or buy it online. Two of my fave brands that are relatively easy to find are Joyva and 365. Tahini does have a tendency to separate, so make sure to stir it really well before using.
- Lemon Juice - Fresh lemon juice brightens up the flavors of this creamy dip. Skip the bottled kind.
- Garlic - You'll also want to use fresh garlic for this recipe (avoid powders and jarred stuff). Since it's used raw, one clove goes a long way, but you can always add an extra clove for a more intense flavor.
- Chipotle Peppers - This recipe gets its smoky, spicy kick (and beautiful orange color) from Chipotle Peppers, jalapeño peppers that have been dried and smoked. You can find them dried or canned, but for this recipe you'll need the canned variety. Find them in the Mexican food section of your store.
- Salt - I recommend using Kosher salt.
This recipe vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, and gluten-free ... so everyone can enjoy it!
You'll Also Need
How to Make Chipotle Hummus
This yummy chickpea spread couldn't be easier to make! Here's how to do it:
- Pulse the garlic in your food processor until minced.
- Scrape down the bowl, then add the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, chipotles, adobo sauce (from the canned chiles), and salt to taste. I recommend adding about a half teaspoon of salt to start ... you can always add more later.
- Process the hummus for at least three minutes, or until it's totally smooth. Scrape down the bowl a few times to make sure everything gets incorporated. Taste the dip, then add additional lemon juice, salt, and /or chipotle peppers to taste.
- Serve with your fave veggies or pita chips!
So simple right? Not to mention, super tasty! I guarantee that once you try it, this smoky hummus is going to become a regular part of your snack rotation.
Tip: Serving this recipe for a party? Add a swirl to the top with a spoon, then drizzle with olive oil and top with a diced chipotles or a sprinkle of smoked paprika.
This recipe is super easy, but these tips will help you make the BEST Spicy Hummus ever!
- Blend the ingredients together for at least three minutes ... the longer you blend the hummus, the smoother and creamier it will get. Plus, the spinning blades incorporate a little air, making the finished dip lighter, too.
- If the ingredients are too thick to blend, add a tablespoon of water (or a little liquid from the canned chickpeas) to get things moving. Stirring the ingredients with a spatula occasionally will also help.
- Not sure how spicy those peppers are? Start with one chile (or even half a chile) ... you can always add more later.
- Taste tasting is essential here! If your hummus tastes a little flat, add more salt and / or lemon juice to make the flavors pop.
The smoky flavor of chipotles is so delicious in this recipe. However, you can easily change the flavor profile by replacing them with ground cayenne, fresh jalapeños, roasted hatch chiles, or other hot peppers. Have fun experimenting!
Fresh cilantro is another ingredient that's very tasty in this recipe ... it pairs so well with the flavor of the chiles. I recommend pulsing in a couple tablespoons at the very end, leaving some small bits visible.
Want to really change things up? Swap in some black beans for the chickpeas!
What to Serve with Spicy Hummus
This easy dip goes with almost anything! Here are some of my favorite pairing ideas:
- Pita - Hummus and pita bread just belong together! I especially love this dip with my Homemade Pita Chips.
- Crackers - Crunchy crackers pair perfectly with this smooth, creamy dip. Try it with my Herb Parmesan Crackers.
- Tortilla Chips - Given the Mexican-inspired flavors of this recipe, you could also serve it with tortilla chips.
- Fresh Veggies - I almost never serve hummus without fresh veggies. This time, I used cucumber, yellow and orange peppers, and grape tomatoes, but almost any vegetable works. Carrot sticks are also a fave!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. The dip will stay fresh for three to four days. Hummus can also be frozen if you can't eat it fast enough.
If you're looking for other flavors of this easy chickpea dip, then try these recipes, too:
- Classic Hummus Recipe - Start here, with this easy, authentic recipe!
- Sun Dried Tomato Hummus
- Layered Greek Hummus Dip
- Easy Olive Hummus
- Roasted Garlic Hummus
- High Speed Blender
- Pulse garlic clove in food processor (or high speed mixer) until minced.
- Scrape down sides of food processor, then add chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, chipotles, adobo sauce, and about ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste).
- Blend for 3 minutes or until totally smooth. If needed, add a cold little water (or liquid from the canned chickpeas) to thin the hummus out.
- Taste hummus and add additional salt and / or lemon juice, if desired.
- Transfer to bowl, then serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to eat. Enjoy!