This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of the happy egg co. and IZEA. All opinions are 100% mine.
These Spicy Egg and Potato Breakfast Burritos are the perfect way to wake up your taste buds!
I first fell in love with breakfast burritos when I lived in San Francisco. My husband is a huge football fan, and the games started really early since we were on the west coast.
His favorite bar served breakfast, and they had the best burritos. I’m not the biggest football fan and could think of better ways to spend my Sundays, so I rarely joined him.
Joel would order a breakfast burrito for me every Sunday though, and bring it home for me to eat (the bar was a couple blocks away from our apartment) … isn’t he sweet?
It’s been a long time since I’ve lived in San Francisco, so now I make my own breakfast burritos. These Spicy Egg and Potato Breakfast Burritos are my favorite!
Spicy Egg and Potato Breakfast Burritos
You are going to love these delicious Spicy Egg and Potato Breakfast Burritos!
They are packed with flavorful ingredients, and I love the spicy kick. Don’t worry though, it’s easy to dial down the heat in this recipe for breakfast burritos if you’re not a fan of hot food (see my tips after the recipe).
Of course, the star of this easy breakfast burrito recipe is the eggs, which adds tons of protein to keep you full all morning long. I was excited to discover these gorgeous eggs from the happy egg co. at my local grocery store … just look at those wonderful bright, golden yolks!
If you try to be a conscious consumer like I do, then you know how confusing egg shopping can be. Free range, organic, cage free … what does it all mean?
Well, search no further, because the happy egg co. is the gold standard in hen welfare! They’re the first commercial free range egg producer in the U.S. to certified by the American Humane Association™.
The happy egg co. takes the confusion out of the egg aisle. They never use hormones, and their delicious, brown-shelled eggs are produced by free to roam hens raised on family run free range farms. Of course, the #1 reason people continue to buy their eggs is the delicious taste!
Look for the happy co.’s eggs the next time you go grocery shopping. You can find them (both Free Range on Pasture and Organic Free Range on Pasture) nationwide at Safeway, Albertson’s, Kroger, Sams, and Walmart … check their store locator to find your local grocer.
Once you have your eggs, it’s time to make these Spicy Egg and Potato Breakfast Burritos. Let’s get started!
How to Make Spicy Egg and Potato Breakfast Burritos
This is the BEST breakfast burritos recipe … I could seriously eat these yummy burritos every day of the week!
Apart from the tender scrambled eggs, my favorite thing about these easy homemade breakfast burrito recipe is the seasoned potatoes. You’ll toss the potatoes with a fragrant mix of chili powder, cumin, oregano, and garlic, then roast them until tender.
Along with the potatoes, you’ll roast a jalapeno that will get added to your eggs later. It’s the perfect way to add a little extra heat to your burritos.
Once the potatoes are done, you’ll scramble the eggs, along with the roasted jalapeno.
Then, grab a tortilla, and top it with the eggs, a generous sprinkling of pepper jack cheese, and a big scoop of those delicious potatoes.
Wrap everything up, and it’s time to eat! If you’re eating your meal on the run, wrap your burrito in a little foil to keep it hot and neat, and you’re good to go.
Serve these Spicy Egg and Potato Breakfast Burritos with your favorite salsa or hot sauce for a delicious morning treat … I like to add a little salsa to every bite!
The best thing about these yummy vegetarian breakfast burritos (besides the amazing taste) is that you can make a big batch, then enjoy them all week.
Just wrap up the leftovers, and when you’re ready to eat a burrito, microwave it for about a minute. Talk about an easy breakfast!
How to Make These Homemade Breakfast Burritos Less Spicy
Not a fan of hot foods? Here are a few ways to dial down the heat in these Spicy Egg and Potato breakfast Burritos (try one or all of them):
- Skip the jalapeno.
- Use a mild chili powder.
- Replace the pepper jack cheese with Monterey Jack.
- Serve the burritos with mild salsa.
Of course, if you like spicy food as much as I do, you can always crank up the heat! Try adding extra jalapenos or using a spicy chili powder, and don’t forget plenty of hot sauce.
Spicy Egg and Potato Breakfast Burritos
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 large red potato, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for jalapeno
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 jalapeno
- 8 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- salsa or hot sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a large baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a zip top bag (or medium bowl), combine potato, onion, olive oil, and spices, plus salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Spread seasoned potatoes on baking pan in a single layer.
- Add jalapeno to baking pan; lightly drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast potatoes and jalapeno for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven; flip potatoes and jalapeno, then return to oven.
- Bake until potatoes are cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Remove from oven; season with additional salt, if desired. Set aside.
- Add eggs to a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, then beat until frothy.
- As soon as potatoes are done, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Chop roasted jalapeno, discarding seeds, stem, and any skin that is peeling off.
- Add eggs and jalapeno to skillet; cook until eggs are scrambled, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Place a tortilla on a large plate; microwave for 10 to 15 seconds, or until warm.
- Top tortilla with 1/4 of the eggs, cheese, and potatoes.
- Fold tortilla around filling. Repeat process with remaining ingredients to make 4 burritos.
- Serve burritos with salsa or hot sauce, if desired.
Love these Breakfast Burritos with Potatoes?
If you enjoyed these spicy breakfast burritos, you’ll love these recipes, too!
- Easy Egg and Black Bean Tacos
- Mexican Baked Eggs
- Vegetarian Breakfast Enchiladas
- Mexican Breakfast Tostadas
- Spicy Black Bean Cakes with Eggs, Avocado, and Tomato
What is your favorite way to enjoy eggs for breakfast?
P.S. Make sure to check out all of my breakfast recipes here!