Serve this yummy Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese with a delicious Spicy Ranch Dipping Sauce for a meal that no one can resist!
Grilled cheese is pretty much the ultimate comfort food, isn't it?
Like most kids, I grew up eating the classic, American cheese-filled version. Pair that with canned tomato soup, and you had my favorite meal!
These days, I swap out the processed cheese with something a little more flavorful. I still love pairing my grilled cheese with tomato soup, but it's usually my amazing Creamy Tomato Basil recipe instead of something canned.
My favorite version of the moment is this Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese with Spicy Ranch Dipping Sauce!
Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese
This delicious, ooey gooey good grilled cheese sandwich features all the flavors of you favorite spinach artichoke dip. And that's such a winning combination, isn't it?
I love adding add vegetables to my grilled cheese sandwiches. Veggies add flavor and substance, plus they make me feel less guilty about all the cheese!
For this sandwich, I've filled two slices of whole wheat bread with garlicky sauteed spinach, artichoke hearts, and pepper jack cheese. So delish!
This grilled cheese can be customized to your preferred heat level. Like a little more kick? Add some crushed red peppers to the sauteed spinach and increase the sriracha in the dipping sauce. Do your tastebuds prefer milder food? Just replace the pepper jack with regular monterey jack cheese and cut down on (or skip) the sriracha.
This sandwich is great on its own, but what puts it over the top is the easy-to-make Spicy Ranch Dipping Sauce! It's the perfect complement to these delicious Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese sandwiches.
How to Make the Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Before I tell you about my Spinach and Artichoke Grilled cheese, let's talk about this classic sandwich. Have you ever made one that was filled with delicious ingredients, only to slice it in half and find a cold center and cheese that didn't melt? It's definitely happened to me before, but with a few simple tips, you'll never make a bad grilled cheese again!
Here's how to make the perfect grilled cheese:
- Start with all of your ingredients at room temperature.
- For even browning, butter the bread slices instead of the pan.
- Use a cheese that melts well, such as monterey jack, cheddar, swiss, or gruyere, and shred the cheese so it melts faster.
- If you want to use a crumbly cheese, like feta or blue, just pair it with a melty cheese that will hold everything together.
- Cook the sandwiches over medium-low heat. You want to cook them slow and low, so the center gets hot and the cheese has a chance to melt.
Now that you know how to make the perfect grilled cheese, you need to try this Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese. You are going to love it!
Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese
For Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- ⅛ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
For Grilled Cheese:
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke quarters
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temp
- 8 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese
Prepare dipping sauce:
- Combine ranch dressing, cilantro, and sriracha in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
Prepare grilled cheese sandwiches:
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and salt to pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Stir spinach into garlic and cook until just wilted, about a minute or two.
- Remove spinach from heat and transfer to a fine mesh strainer. Gently press liquid out of spinach and set aside.
- Drain the artichokes, then transfer them to a paper towel and blot dry.
- Heat a large pan over medium-low heat.
- Butter 4 slices of bread with ½ tbsp. butter each. Place bread butter side down in pan.
- Top each slice of bread with ⅛ of the cheese, ¼ of the spinach, ¼ of the artichokes, and then ⅛ of the cheese.
- Butter the remaining slices of bread and place on top of sandwiches.
- Gently press sandwiches with a spatula, and then cook until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Flip sandwiches over and cook until golden brown on other side.
- Serve grilled cheese hot with Spicy Ranch Dipping Sauce on the side. Enjoy!
Did you grow up on grilled cheese, too? What is your favorite way to eat it?
P.S. If you like this sandwich, make sure to try my Broccoli Rabe and Provolone Grilled Cheese, too!