This blog post has been compensated by Borden® Cheese. All opinions are mine alone. #BordenCheeseLove #CollectiveBias #Ad
Dig into these Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, a delicious and easy vegetarian recipe that’s perfect for busy weeknights!
My husband travels for work during the week … he’s really home only on the weekends. It’s a great job, and sometimes I even get to go with him, which I definitely can’t complain about!
Being apart so much has been a big adjustment though, especially since we’re living in a new state. When he’s home, we try to spend as much time together as possible. We’re still new to Dallas, so it’s fun to get out and explore the city. And of course, we also enjoy relaxing at home, especially with a great meal.
I’ve always loved cooking. To me, a home cooked meal is a way of showing love for my family and friends. There’s a little bit of care in every bite, right? So most of our weekends together involve a delicious dinner, like these Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.
Of course, it wouldn’t be a Tex-Mex recipe without plenty of cheese! So I stopped by Tom Thumb to picked up two of my faves: Borden® Cheese Finely Shredded Four Cheese Mexican Shreds and Borden® Cheese Finely Shredded Sharp Cheddar Shreds. I used the Mexican cheese for my recipe, but the sharp cheddar would work great, too.
This recipe is warm, flavorful, and filling. Each bite is like a little hug, and the love that goes into making Borden® Cheese helps transform this recipe into a special dish that’s perfect for enjoying family moments, like a relaxing dinner with my husband.
I mean, just look at that ooey, gooey cheesy goodness … yum!
One of the things I love about these Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes is just how easy they are to make. I don’t know about you, but after a long day, the last thing I want to do is cook an involved meal.
This recipe is mostly hands off, which I love. You’ll start by baking the sweet potatoes in the oven, which takes about 45 to 60 minutes (giving you a little time to relax after a busy day). If you’re in a time pinch, you can microwave the potatoes instead. I’ve made the recipe both ways, and either method turns out great.
Then, you’ll return the potatoes to the oven (or microwave) to melt the cheese into that ooey, gooey deliciousness that we all love … yum!
The last step is to add the toppings. I don’t know about you, but I love anything with lots of toppings! For these Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, I used my husband’s faves: sweet corn, spicy salsa, rich sour cream, and fresh avocado.
Feel free to swap in your favorite toppings, like olives, cilantro, diced tomatoes, etc. You could even set up a toppings bar and let everyone create their own spin on the recipe … wouldn’t that be fun?
However you serve them, these Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are a recipe filled with love that your family won’t be able to resist!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 cup Borden® Cheese Finely Shredded Four Cheese Mexican Shreds
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 avocado, diced
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Poke potatoes all over with a fork, then place on a baking sheet.
- Bake potatoes until tender when pierced with a fork, about 45 to 60 minutes. (See note for microwave instructions).
- Mix together black beans, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Season to taste with salt.
- When the potatoes are ready, carefully split them in half and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Top potatoes with black beans and cheese.
- Return potatoes to oven and bake until cheese is melted and potatoes are hot, about 5 minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking, combine the corn and a tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, just until the corn is hot.
- Top potatoes with corn, avocado, salsa, and sour cream.
- Serve potatoes immediately. Enjoy!
*If you are in a rush, microwave potatoes for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, or until tender. Top with black beans and cheese, then microwave until cheese is melted, about 30 to 45 seconds. Add toppings and serve.
Make sure to pick up Borden® Cheese for these delish Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes and all your favorite recipes! I shopped at Tom Thumb, but check out this store locator to find Borden® Cheese near you! And follow Borden® Cheese on Facebook and Instagram for more recipe ideas!
I’m linking up with Tatertots & Jello.