Treat yourself to these thick, chewy Ginger Cookies … you’re going to love their warm, spicy flavor!
This post contains affiliate links.
I’m a huge fan of Ginger Spice Cookies, but I’ve never had a go to recipe.
So I decided to create my own!
My recipe had to have lots of ginger flavor, crunchy sugar on the outside, and a thick, chewy texture.
These delicious Ginger Cookies meet all of my criteria, and I know you’re going to enjoy them just as much as I do!
These yummy Ginger Cookies are filled with two kinds of ginger: ground and crystallized.
I absolutely love crystallized ginger, and it adds a great texture and flavor to these cookies. Crystallized ginger can be hard to find, but Whole Foods has it for a good price. Or you can get it on Amazon, or you could even try making your own.
There are a couple tricks that give these cookies their thick and chewy texture. First, you’ll melt the butter instead of softening it, as you would in most recipes. That helps create a chewier texture. Then, once all the ingredients are mixed together, the cookies are refrigerated. You’ll want to refrigerate the cookies for at least an hour, but overnight is even better. Refrigerating the cookies helps them get nice and thick.
To get a sugary crunch on the outside, you’ll roll these thick and chewy Ginger Spice Cookies in turbinado sugar (also called raw sugar) before baking. The large crystals of the turbinado sugar are crunchy and delicious, plus it looks so pretty on the finished cookies.
All of these simple techniques result in a thick, chewy Ginger Cookie that positively addictive. You are going to love these cookies!
Loved these Ginger Cookies?
If you enjoyed this delicious recipe, then make sure to try this cookies, too!
- Nona’s Pecan Fingers
- Mini Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cupcakes (Black Bottoms)
- Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies
- Poppy Seed Kiss Cookies
- White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
- Salted Caramel Pretzel Cookies
- Curry Shortbread Cookies
- Honey Cookies
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- Melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Using a mixer, blend together melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until smooth and glossy (a couple minutes).
- Add molasses, vanilla extract, salt, and egg to butter mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and pepper. Add mixture to butter mixture and blend until smooth.
- Mix in crystallized ginger until well incorporated.
- Divide dough into 16 equal-sized balls.
- Place turbinado sugar in a large, shallow bowl, then roll cookie balls in sugar.
- Place cookies on a greased baking sheet and flatten slightly.
- Refrigerate cookies for at least one hour or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove cookie sheets from refrigerator and transfer to preheated oven. Bake cookies for about 15 minutes or until bottoms are browned.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack, then serve immediately or store in an air tight container. Enjoy!
Are you a fan of Ginger Spice Cookies, too?