This Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Freekeh Salad is bursting with fresh summer flavors and so tasty ... make it tonight!
This post contains affiliate links.
Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Freekeh Salad
One of my favorite summer treats is a caprese salad. Done right, this simple combination of tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozzarella is absolute perfection.
I'm always looking for ways to include those summery flavors into other recipes, like this delicious Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Freekeh Salad.
If you've never had freekeh before, this easy Mediterranean freekeh salad is the perfect way to try it!
All About Freekeh
The first time I had freekeh was last summer, and it was so delish that I wondered what took me so long!
If you love quinoa, you'll like freekeh, too.
This ancient grain is popular in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines, as well as in Australia where modern processing was developed. In fact, you find that a lot of freekeh originates from there.
So what is freekeh exactly? It's unripe wheat that's harvested while it's young and tender, then dried. After drying, it's roasted, and the chaff is rubbed away. Freekeh comes in whole grain and cracked varieties, and it has a chewy texture and delicious nutty, mildly smokey flavor.
You can find freekeh at Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and natural food stores. I bought mine on Amazon (whole grain freekeh and cracked freekeh) for a better price than I could find locally.
Freekeh is easy to cook, and it works well in casserole, soups, pilafs, and more. I love hearty salads (like this Winter Kale Salad), so I decided to pair it with my favorite caprese flavors ... tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil!
Freekeh is full of essential nutrients, as well as protein and fiber, so this salad won't leave you hungry an hour after you eat it. Its nutty taste works perfectly with tomato, basil, and fresh mozzarella, and I added to chickpeas and pine nuts to make it even more filling. A zesty lemon vinaigrette ties all the flavors together.
Perfect as a stand alone meal or a tasty side dish, you'll want to add this Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Freekeh Salad to your summer rotation!I like to get a little bit of each ingredient in every bite! Yum!
Are you planning a summer party? This Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Freekeh Salad is a great option. The ingredients hold up well, so make it ahead, then add the basil just before serving.
Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Freekah Salad
- 1 cup whole grain freekeh
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ pound bocconcini (mini fresh mozzarella balls), halved
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup basil leaves, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- Combine freekeh and vegetable broth in a medium pot.
- Bring to boil, then cover and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook until tender and chewy, about 35 - 45 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Drain any remaining broth from freekeh and set aside to cool.
- Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Add freekeh to a large bowl, along with the grape tomatoes, bocconcini, chickpeas, basil, and pine nuts. Mix well.
- Pour vinaigrette over salad and stir until well combined.
- Serve salad immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!
Have you ever tried freekeh?
P.S. If you liked this Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Freekeh Salad, then don't miss my Watermelon Basil Feta Salad and Greek Quinoa Salad recipes!