These Vegetarian Teriyaki Burgers are a game changer. I mean, there’s pineapple on this burger … yum. You have got to try this amazing recipe!
Vegetarian Teriyaki Burgers
I love a delicious veggie burger. A veggie burger and fries (always fries!) has always been one of my favorite meals.
I’m always looking for new recipe ideas, and I’m not afraid to admit that this Vegetarian Teriyaki Burger was inspired by pure jealousy. Ha!
I see a lot of teriyaki burgers on restaurant menus, but they are always made with meat. It’s kind of a bummer. Sometimes vegetarians get a bum wrap … ya know?
So after years of watching my husband eat them, I finally decided to make my own vegetarian version.
I’m not sure what took me so long to create my own recipe, but this Vegetarian Teriyaki Burger was definitely worth the wait. It’s seriously mouthwatering!
How to Make Teriyaki Veggie Burgers
These delish veggie burgers are made from a mixture of quinoa and chickpeas … perfect for protein lovers!
I seasoned these Teriyaki Veggie Burgers with a fragrant mix of sauteed vegetables, fresh ginger, garlic, and cilantro. These spices add tons of flavor to the finished burgers.
Next, you’ll mix everything together, and a little flour and egg to help firm the burgers up and hold everything together.
After a quick saute, it’s time for the toppings … definitely my favorite part!
First, there’s the pineapple … mmm!
You’ll cook the pineapple right along with the burgers. As the pineapple cooks, it caramelizes, which adds tons of flavor to the finished burgers.
I prefer to use fresh pineapple for these Vegetarian Teriyaki Burgers, although you’re welcome to use canned pineapple (affiliate link), too. If you do, then choose pineapple that’s packed in juice, not heavy syrup though.
Finally, you’ll finish the burgers with a yummy teriyaki-flavored mayonnaise. I’m don’t know why, but I just love mayo on burgers. (If you’d prefer a no mayo sauce, feel free to substitute to teriyaki sauce I use for my Teriyaki Tofu Bowl … it’s sooo delish!)
This easy teriyaki sauce takes minutes to make and will have you licking your lips!
Have I tempted you yet? I hope so! Treat yourself to these amazing Vegetarian Teriyaki Burgers tonight … they’d be delicious paired with my Roasted Sweet Potato Fries!
Vegetarian Teriyaki Burgers
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 green onion, finely chopped (green part only)
- 4 pineapple slices (sliced 1/2-inch thick)
For Teriyaki Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 burger buns
- Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add quinoa and cook until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion and red pepper in oil until softened and browned.
- Add ginger, salt, crushed red pepper, and garlic to pan.
- Cook until fragrant, then remove pan from heat.
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl; mash until smooth.
- Add quinoa, sauteed veggies, flour, and egg to chickpeas and mix well.
- Stir in cilantro and green onion.
- Shape mixture into 4 burger patties.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add pineapple slices and burgers to skillet.
- Cook burgers and pineapple until browned on one side, then flip and cook on the other side. Remove from heat.
Prepare teriyaki sauce:
- While burgers cook, mix together soy sauce, pineapple juice, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, ginger, and garlic.
- Whisk in mayonnaise until mixture is completely smooth.
- Spread both sides of each bun generously with teriyaki sauce.
- Cover bottom bun with lettuce.
- Add a burger and a pineapple slice; then add bun top.
- Serve burgers immediately. Enjoy!
Love this Vegetarian Teriyaki Burgers?
If you like this Vegetarian Teriyaki Burger, make sure to check out my Teriyaki Tofu Bowl recipe, too!
This bowl packed with veggies, savory chunks of baked tofu and sweet pineapple, and an amazing teriyaki sauce … it is seriously delish!
Looking for more amazing burger recipes? You can find ALL of my Veggie Burger Recipes here.
What are your favorite burger toppings?