Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint is the ultimate summer recipe ... bursting with delicious, fresh flavors and ready in minutes!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking for a light and easy summer recipe? Then, this colorful Watermelon Salad is for you!
I can't get enough of the bright Mediterranean flavors in this vibrant, sweet - savory salad, which pairs zesty feta cheese and red onions with sweet watermelon and fresh mint. So delicious, so quick to make, and an excellent way to use up lots of watermelon.
This recipe is easy to customize depending on what looks good at the farmers market or according to your taste. Serve it for dinner tonight or save it for a weekend bbq ... either way, you're going to love it!
Have I made you hungry yet? Then, keep reading for all the mouthwatering details!
I kept this recipe super simple so you could throw it together in minutes. Here's what you'll need:
- Red Onion
- Feta Cheese
- Fresh Mint
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Kosher Salt
So simple, yet so delicious! Of course, you'll want to use the freshest ingredients for best results. And feel free to consider this recipe a template that you can customize with your fave seasonal produce ... I'm sharing lots of ideas below!
How to Pick a Watermelon
Picking a watermelon can be confusing, but it really doesn’t have to be. Try these three simple tips the next time you go shopping:
- Pick it up. Watermelons should feel heavy for their size.
- Look for a yellow spot. This spot is where the watermelon rested on the ground. A creamy, yellow spot (versus a pale, white one) indicates that it was allowed to fully ripen before harvesting.
- Give it a thump. The melon's surface should be firm, and a juicy one should have a deep hollow sound.
Substitutions + Additions
I think you're going to love the easy, breezy Mediterranean flavors in this Watermelon Salad, but the recipe is endlessly customizable! Feel free to change it up according to whatever you have on hand.
Here are some ideas to inspire you:
- Veggies + Fruits: Watermelon may be sweet, but it pairs surprisingly well with savory ingredients. And of course, it's a natural with other fruit. Try adding tomato, avocado, cucumber, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or peaches to your salad.
- Greens - Add a little substance to this salad (and stretch it out) by serving it tossed with arugula, mixed greens, or baby kale. You could even add it to this simple massaged kale salad for a summery twist.
- Quinoa - Toss this salad with quinoa to turn it into a protein-packed meal.
- Herbs - Watermelon and mint are a match made in heaven! But, this fruit salad would be delicious with other herbs, like basil, cilantro, and flat leaf parsley, too. You could even do a mix of herbs.
- Cheese - Try swapping out the feta for goat cheese, grilled halloumi, or even queso fresco. You could also use fresh mozzarella to give the salad more of a caprese vibe.
- Nuts - Toasted nuts (like almonds, pecans, or walnuts) would add a welcome crunch to the simple salad. Sprinkle them over the top just before serving.
- Spicy - Add a little kick to this salad by stirring in fresh jalapeno slices or adding a dash of cayenne to the dressing.
- Dressing - Consider the basic Lime Vinaigrette I used in this recipe a starting point. You could make a simple change, like using lemon juice instead of lime or replacing the sugar with honey or maple syrup (or leave out the sugar to make the recipe sugar free). Or use a different dressing altogether ... the Chili-Lime Vinaigrette I created for my Mexican Kale Salad would be delish, as would a balsamic dressing.
- Vegan - This recipe is naturally vegetarian, but you can make it vegan by skipping the feta and using vegan sugar or maple syrup in the dressing.
Tip: If you do include additional ingredients, make sure to add more dressing, too.
How to Make Watermelon Salad
This salad really couldn't be easier to make, so let's get started!
The first thing you'll want to do is whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, sugar, and salt to make the dressing. Once that's done, set it aside and prep the other ingredients.
Since it's the star of the salad, I like to cut my watermelon in big one-inch cubes for this recipe (you could also do balls). I also prefer to dice the feta, rather than crumbling it ... that way, you'll get a good sized-piece in every bite.
You'll also want to slice the red onion. The "bite" of fresh onion is a good contrast to the sweet melon here. If you'd prefer a milder onion flavor though, place the sliced onion in a fine mesh strainer and rinse it with water. Drain well before adding it to your salad.
Finally, give the mint a rough chop. If your mint leaves are especially small, simply pick them from the stems and skip the chopping.
Add the watermelon, onion, feta, and mint to a large bowl, then pour the dressing over the top. Give the salad a gentle mix, then adjust the seasoning with a little extra salt, if needed.
And that's all there is to this simple recipe ... time to eat!
Serving the Salad
On super hot days, this salad makes an excellent light meal, especially if you toss it with greens and add some crusty bread. You could also serve it as a side to pretty much any summer meal or bbq. Try pairing it with Grilled Pizza, Veggie Burgers, Grilled Vegetables, a simple Tomato Avocado Sandwich, or this Grilled Halloumi Salad.
Storing the Salad
Watermelon releases lots of liquid once cut, so this salad tastes best when eaten shortly after mixing.
If you'd like to prepare it ahead of time, I'd recommend prepping the ingredients in advance, but waiting to toss everything together until right before serving. That, way you can drain the watermelon a bit before combining it with the other ingredients, if needed.
Have leftovers? Store them in the refrigerator, then drain off a little of the excess liquid before serving.
Looking for more ways to use up a watermelon? Try one of these recipes next:
- Watermelon Mojito
- Watermelon Quinoa Salad
- Watermelon Juice
- Watermelon Popsicles
- Watermelon Punch
- Watermelon Salsa
- Watermelon Gazpacho
- Watermelon Lemonade
- Watermelon Sorbet
Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar (or honey)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- ½ small red onion, sliced
- 1 cup diced feta
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- Combine olive oil, lime juice, sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk together until sugar is dissolved.
- Add watermelon, onion, feta, and mint to a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over salad, then mix gently. Adjust seasoning with additional salt, if desired.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!