Spicy Tomato Basil Fried Rice
This Spicy Tomato Basil Fried Rice is the perfect weeknight dinner! It's fast and delicious, plus you can easily adjust the spiciness to taste.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, diced
- salt, to taste
- 1 large bunch broccoli, cut into florets; stems peeled and chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) package baked tofu, cubed
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved (or cherry tomatoes)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (cold)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce (substitute tamari to make this recipe gluten free)
- 1-3 tablespoons sriracha
- 5 large basil leaves, julienned*
Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Stir onion into oil and season lightly with salt; cook until softened and beginning to brown, stirring often.
Add broccoli (florets and stems) and tofu to pan, then season lightly with salt.
Cook until broccoli turns a brighter green and tofu starts to brown, stirring often (about 3 to 5 minutes).
Add tomatoes to pan; cook until tomatoes are softened and broccoli is tender crisp.
Remove veggies from pan and set aside. If the tomatoes were very juicy, wipe out the pan.
Return pan to heat and add remaining tbsp. olive oil and sesame oil.
Saute garlic in oil until fragrant, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
Add rice and cook, stirring often, until it has a little color (about 5 minutes).
Push rice to side, then add eggs to empty space.
When eggs are done, mix them into the rice along with the reserved veggies.
Season rice to taste with soy sauce and sriracha.
Stir in basil, then serve hot. Enjoy!
*I used regular basil this time, but if you can find it, Thai basil is delicious in this recipe.
This recipe is super flexible, so customize it to your taste. Replace the broccoli, or even the tomatoes, with your favorite veggies.