Black Beans and Rice
This easy Black Beans and Rice recipe makes a delicious, fast, and affordable week night meal or side dish!
Servings: 4 main dish servings
- 1 cup white or brown rice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, lightly drained but not rinsed
- chopped cilantro, optional
Cook rice according to package directions.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Saute onions and green pepper in oil until softened and lightly browned around the edges.
Mix in garlic, cumin, oregano, and red pepper flakes; cook for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly, until fragrant.
Stir in black beans, then reduce heat and simmer for about 5-10 minutes or until liquid from the beans is reduced/forms a sauce and veggies are tender. Add a little water if the beans get too dry.
Serve beans over rice, sprinkled with cilantro if desired. Enjoy!