Treat yourself to these delicious Halloumi Burgers ... they're a fun twist on the classic veggie burger!
Servings: 4 burgers
For Tomato Sauce:
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces Halloumi cheese, cut into 4 slices
- 4 burger buns
- pickled onions
Prepare Tomato Sauce:
Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil to a medium skillet over medium heat.
Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in tomatoes and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Mix in balsamic vinegar, then cook until thick.
Remove sauce from heat. Stir in basil and season to taste with salt. Set aside.
While sauce is cooking, brush portobellos lightly with olive oil.
Roast mushrooms for 10 minutes, then flip and cook for 10 minutes more (or until tender). Remove from oven, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
Once mushrooms start cooking, heat a grill pan over medium heat.
Brush halloumi with remaining olive oil, then add to hot pan.
Cook halloumi until browned grill marks appear, then flip and cook on other side. Remove from heat.
To assemble burgers, top bun with a small handful of lettuce, pickled onions, portobellos, tomato sauce, and cheese.
Serve burgers immediately. Enjoy!