Happy Friday! Ugh … this week. First, I was struck down with a mysterious headache/nausea for a few days, and then when that went away, I got a massive case of acid reflux. I’m still recovering from that lovely ailment.
Well, now that I’ve given you way TMI about my boring health issues, let me tell you about something fun I did last weekend. I was invited to attend a panel discussion on olive oil at The Food Conference. It was really fascinating. The panelists talked about how olive oil production has changed over the years, and how that has affected the quality of the oil. Although there is good olive oil being produced around the world, there was a consensus among the panelists that most of the olive oil purchased at supermarkets and consumed at restaurants (even upscale ones) in the U.S. is not very good. One thing that I found really interesting is that most Americans consume only 1 liter of olive oil a year. I don’t know about you, but I use olive oil for pretty much everything. I probably go through a liter every month or two!
After the discussion, we were able to taste four olive oils from Nar Gourmet. Each of the oils, which are produced in Anatolia, Turkey, had a distinctive, lovely taste. After the discussion and taste test, I’m really interested in learning more about olive oil. (Nar products are available for purchase on Amazon if you’re interested.)
On to my favorite links from the week!
Tomorrow is National Grilled Cheese Day, so don’t forget to mark the holiday. I’d love to try any of these grilled cheese sandwiches: Roasted Apple and Brie with Thyme-Infused Butter, Artichoke Arugula Pesto, Tomato Basil, or Mushroom and Kale. Check out my Sandwich Pinterest board for even more ideas!
I try to avoid using harsh chemicals in my home, so I’m curious to try making my own cleaning products. This Grease-Fighting Natural Dish Soap from Henry Happened looks like a good place to start.
These DIY Beaded Candleholders from Homey Oh My are so pretty.
I love snap peas, and Foody Schmoody’s Warm Snap Pea Salad caught my eye right away. It looks so good!
If you have a black thumb and are looking for easy-going plants, succulents are it. Pick up some plants and then check out The Golden Sycamore’s super cute Painted Mason Jar Succulent Planter tutorial.
Simply Gloria has a recipe for Huevos Rancheros with Fresh Tomatillo Sauce (one of my favorite breakfasts) that you need to check out.
Don’t think you have time to get crafty? Try this 30 Second DIY Cuff Bracelet from Artzy Creations. It’s seriously gorgeous!
According to Sweet Paul, this is the World’s Best Cake, and I’ve never doubted him.
The idea of Christmas crackers fascinated me as a kid (how I even heard of them, I’m not sure), and I’ve still never had one. I may need to make the Easter Crackers from A Typical English Home to finally satisfy my curiosity.
I have yet to jump on the chia seed bandwagon, although my husband loves them. I’m going to surprise him with this Coconut Vanilla Chia Pudding from Blahnik Baker. Yum!
So. Many. Sales! Save a little money on your weekend shopping with these deals:
- The Limited: take 40% off everything – sale items included – with code ALL40 at checkout (valid through 4/13).
- Kohl’s: take 15% off Everything with Code SUN15 or 20% off $100+ with Code SUN20 (ends 4/20). I’m loving the new Peter Som collection (which is 25% off right now), especially the striped empire dress and eyelet skirt.
- Nordstrom: shop Nordstrom Beauty and receive a free gift with purchase (ends 4/27). Plus, get free shipping on every order.
- Target: save on select jewelry for spring (valid through 5/10) and save 20% on select heels and flats (valid through 4/19).
- ChicTweak: get 50% off site wide with code SPRING50. Stock up on gorgeous spring accessories!
- Philosophy: save up to 35% on select best selling bundles (valid 4/10 – 4/13). The Raspberry Bath Duo is my fave!
- Lucy: get 25% off the Everyday and Vital collections. Check out the sale section while you’re there for even more great deals.
- Alex and Ani: shop for all your wedding needs! Charm your bridesmaids with a token of your love, sparkle and shine at your rehearsal dinner, find something blue, or give the gift of positive energy to your guests.
- C. Wonder: has lots of great sales going on! Take an additional 40% off sale or an additional 50% off home, plus spend $150 and get 40% off your entire order.
- Alternative Apparel: get 20% off online exclusives with code XCLUSIVE (valid through 4/13). Stock up on tees and tanks! I have my eye on the Lakeside Dress!
- Dooney & Bourke: get free shipping when you order $100 or more. Are you a baseball fan? Shop their new MLB Collection! Or if you are non-sporty like me, check out the Camilla … gorgeous!
- e.l.f. Cosmetics: save up to 40% off purchases at the Secret Sale (valid through 4/14)! Click through the link to see how much you’ll save!
- Dorothy Perkins: save up to 50% at their huge sale. Stock up on dresses and more!
- C.O. Bigelow: get a FREE Mentha Lip Balm No. 1131, plus free shipping on orders of $50 or more, with code GOODFRIDAY3 (valid through 4/30).
- Bauble Bar: check out the String Fling Bracelet Builder. You can get 3 super cute bracelets for $36!
- World Market: has a few great deals! Save 15% on outdoor items (valid 4/10 – 4/27), 20% off all wine racks (the Aiden wine rack is on my wishlist!), or 10% sitewide with code SAVEBIG10.
- Best Buy: save $50–$200 on DSLR cameras from Canon, Nikon, Sony, and more, plus get free shipping. There are some awesome deals here!
- LivingSocial: spend more, save more! Take $5 off $30, $10 off $50 and $25 off $100 with codes 5OFF30, TENOFF50 and 25OFF100 (valid 4/11 to 4/13).
- Groupon: check out their new wedding collection for dresses, rings, honeymoon deals, gifts, and more.
- Paper Source: take 25% off custom stamps. No code needed (valid through 4/14).
- Hancock Fabrics: shop the Sunny Days Sale, plus get an extra 10% off your entire purchase with code AYTTN at checkout (valid through 4/14).
- Harry & David: use code EGGHUNT to take 10% off Easter gift orders over $39, 15% off orders over $59, or 20% off orders over $99 (expires 4/20).
- The Cambridge Satchel Company: check out their new Spring Fling Collection. I love the pretty colors!
- Kidrobot: save big on toys! Take 20% off Futurama Mini Series 2 with code KRFUTURAMA41420, 20% off Marvel Toys with code KRMARVEL41420, 20% off The Simpsons Toys with code SIMPSONS41420, 25% off Street Fighter Toys with code STFIGHTER41425, and 25% off South Park Toys with code SOUTHPARK41425.
- Sur La Table: shop the Easter sale for up to 50% off Easter essentials!
- Uncorked: shop the Easter wine sale, plus get free shipping with code ZEROSHIP at check out.
An awesome table at Dylan’s Candy Bar!
Finally, a good cocktail is in order! My husband and I used to throw a Derby party every year and served Mint Juleps, of course. Have you ever had one? They are super strong, so just imagine the mayhem that ensued after a few hours of drinking those. Anyway, these Sparkling Mint Juleps from The Kitchen Is My Playground look like a fun twist on a classic. Cheers to that!
P.S. Follow me on Pinterest to keep up with everything that catches my eye!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase something from one of these links, I may receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you). I only recommend products that I love, and your purchase helps to support the free content offered on Hello Little Home (thank you so much!).