This year, more than any other in recent memory, really flew by. Our move had a lot to do with that (new things to do and see), but it’s been an eventful year even without a cross-country schlep. I’m not sure where the time went, but now the holidays are just around the corner!
The holidays come with a lot of travel. I know a lot of people hate flying – including my husband who gets nervous at the slightest hint of turbulence – but I actually enjoy it. When else do you have so many uninterrupted hours to disconnect?
I also enjoy packing my bags and picking the perfect outfit! Here’s what I’d wear and pack:
Whether you are traveling by plane, train, or automobile (remember that movie?), the key is to dress comfortably.
- Start with a cardigan. This Apt. 9 Cashmere Open-Front Cardigan is lightweight and has a beautiful pointelle pattern. I love cashmere for traveling – it’s like a soft hug – especially when it’s this affordable! Bargain tip: the sweater is from Kohl’s, which always has great sales. Before checking out, search for an online promo code and use it on top of the sale price.
- Under the cardigan, layer a lightweight t-shirt like this V-Neck Tee from Old Navy. If you are flying, remember that security may make you remove a sweater (especially if it’s oversize), so avoid skimpy tank tops.
- Wear leggings or skinny jeans with lots of stretch. J Brand’s Stretch Denim Leggings are super comfy but look really sharp.
- Choose shoes that can be easily slipped on and off. I like the ease of ballet flats in warm months, but my feet get too cold in winter, so I prefer booties like Sam Edelman’s Petty.
- A wrap or large scarf is a must! Apt. 9’s Twill Wrap comes in a ton of colors. Wrap it around your neck, use it as a blanket, or fold it up to use as a pillow. Just don’t forget it at home!
- Keep your jewelry simple. I prefer to wear a simple pair of hoops. These Sequin Studded Hoop Earrings are just right.
- Don’t forget a classic watch. I have the cheapo version of this Michael Kors Chain Bracelet Watch, and I love it so much. It’s time to upgrade though, because my inexpensive version is tarnished and turns my wrist a greenish-gray every time I wear it!
What to Pack
I usually only pack a carry-on and a large tote when I fly, so every inch counts! This is what I carry in my tote bag.
- Select a bag that will fit under the seat in front of you. Le Sportsac’s Le Zip Tote is ideal. The foil snakeskin print is attractive, and the fabric is durable and washable (who knows what’s under those seats?). Plus, it’s just fun to say the name!
- Pack a tablet. I always pack my iPad when traveling, and it provides endless hours of entertainment. Play a game (I like Yatzee), read a book, make lists and get organized, or watch a movie. Not to mention, you can connect to WiFi on most flights.
- Headphones are a necessity. These Frends Over-the-Ear Headphones are super chic. They are definitely on the pricey side but worth the upgrade. Santa: are you reading this?
- Keep germs at bay. When it comes to flying, I’m a total germaphobe. The minute I sit down, I wipe down my armrests and tray with Hand Sanitizer Wipes. I also carry Bath & Body Works’ PocketBac Hand Sanitizer. It’s small and comes in great scents.
- Bring a book. On my next trip, I’m looking forward to reading Wally Lamb’s We Are Water. Stock up on trashy magazines at the airport bookstore, too!
- Pack a snack. Food can be really hard to come by when traveling, and there is nothing worse than being hungry on a long flight or being stuck in an outdated terminal with no food options. I always pack a couple Lara Bar Roasted Nut Rolls (so good). Grab a bottle of water after you get through security, too, and you won’t get dehydrated waiting for the flight attendant to serve you.
- For long-haul or red-eye flights, you’ll need a few extras. Even the most comfortable shoes are unbearable when you’re trying to sleep, so take a pair of warm slippers. Old Navy’s Sherpa Moccasins are cute and cuddly. You’ll need a comfortable sleeping mask, and the ones the airlines are scratchy and constricting. This Cat Eyes Sleep Mask from Mary Green will put a smile on your face before you doze off. Finally, ward off the plane’s dry air with a good Nasal Spray. Your nose will thank you later!
Are you traveling over the holidays? What are your must-haves?
Linking up with Karly Kim’s Totally Posted Tuesday, 52 Mantels’ Thursdays Are Your Days, Live Laugh Rowe’s Live Laugh Linky, Vodka Infused Lemonade’s Tre-Chic Thursday, Simply Lulu Style’s What I’m Loving Fridays, Style Elixir’s Friday’s Fab Favorites, The Life of the Party’s Fashion Informant, Get Your Pretty On’s I Feel Pretty, Glitz and Gold’s All Things Thursday, and My Girlish Whims’ Your Whims Wednesday.