This post is brought to you in partnership with Frette. All opinions are my own.
Today, I’m showing you how to create a luxurious bedroom retreat … it’s easy with my simple my tips!
How to Create a Luxurious Bedroom
Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have somewhere special to escape after a long, stressful day? A beautiful bedroom is the perfect place to forget your cares!
I’m starting to settle into my new Dallas apartment, and I’m finding that most of the furniture I bought in New York looks pretty petite here. The old saying is true … everything is bigger in Texas (at least when it comes to apartments)!
One room I can’t wait to start working on is my bedroom. The bedroom in my NYC apartment was tiny. The only way to fit a queen size bed in the room was to place one side of the bed against the wall, which made climbing in and out a chore. It wasn’t exactly the relaxing bedroom I craved.
Thankfully, my new bedroom is much (much!) bigger. It’s a bit of a mish mash right now, but I can’t wait to make the most of this space and turn it into a beautiful, luxurious room where I can escape the stresses of my day.
I’ve already started creating a plan, so I thought I’d share my tips with you on how to create a luxurious bedroom retreat.
Get Organized and Hide Clutter
If you want to create a luxurious and relaxing retreat, the first thing you need to do is get rid of clutter.
Start by removing everything from your bedside tables, dressers, and other surfaces. Return only the essentials and find a new home for everything else.
I like to keep my bedside table clear, except for a wonderfully-scented candle, a small tray to catch odds and ends, a few books, and a small journal.
A drawer in the table holds charging cords and anything else I don’t want to clutter up the top.
On my dresser, I have a small tray to hold perfume and my favorite lipsticks. The tray keeps everything contained and adds a decorative element, too.
Don’t forget about your closets! Opening the doors to a beautifully organized space is a treat you will appreciate every day.
Make Your Bed the Focal Point
Did you know that we spend about a third of our day sleeping?
So it makes sense that the bed should be the focal point of the room. I like to start with an oversized headboard. It will instantly draw your eye to the bed when you enter the room.
Next, invest in beautiful and luxurious bed linens. Frette’s spring collection is filled with gorgeous inspiration! Known for their chic, original designs, Frette has been producing linens and home furnishing of unparalleled quality since 1860. If you’ve ever stayed in an upscale hotel, you’ve probably slept on Frette linens … they feel and look amazing!
I had a fun afternoon perusing Frette’s spring collection … everything is so beautiful and unique. One of my favorites is the Marguerite Collection (see the photo above), which was inspired by the “love me, love me not” flower. I love the subtle details, and the pretty floral patterns and textures are perfect for spring.
My other fave is Blue Iris (below) … how lovely are those colors? Subtle tones of violet, periwinkle blue, and fresh green bring this floral print to life.
If you’ve ever met me or if you’ve followed Hello Little Home for a while, you know how much I love color!
I couldn’t resist putting together a mood board for my dream bedroom, featuring the Blue Iris Collection.
Isn’t it gorgeous?
Here’s how I’d create my luxurious bedroom retreat:
- Headboard: I actually already own this headboard and love it. It’s tall and cozy, and it’s the perfect neutral backdrop for Frette’s beautiful bedding.
- Frette Stars Pizzo Sheet Set: I spotted these beautiful sheets paired with Frette’s Floral Spray bedding, another design from spring collection, and fell in love. White sheets are my favorite, and these are accented by an intricate macrame lace of delicate daises … stunning!
- Frette Blue Iris Duvet Cover and Euro Sham: the vibrant colors in these linens will capture anyone’s attention the minute they enter your room. A neatly folded duvet at the foot of the bed and Euro shams placed behind the Stars Pizzo shams would provide the perfect pop of color for my bedroom.
- Frette Chord Light Quilt: I love a lightweight quilt on my bed. It adds a luxurious touch to the bed, plus it’s the perfect thing to layer under a duvet in winter and can be used alone during hot summer months.
- Neutral Rug: for my bedroom, I like a neutral, patterned rug. The geometric design on this one would add interest to the room without taking away from the beautiful bedding.
- 3-Drawer Dresser: if you need extra space storage space in your bedroom, use a small dresser instead of a bedside table. This one is chic and minimal (love those lucite legs!), making it the perfect counterpoint to the colorful bedding.
- Table Lamp: the antiqued mercury glass finish on this lamp would add a ton of character to my dream bedroom.
Have you ever wondered about the difference between a Euro sham and a regular sham or how to layer your bed linens? Check out Frette’s bedding guide. It’s full of helpful tips for creating the perfect bed.
To me, no room is complete without art, especially the bedroom. It adds a personal touch to your space and makes it unique.
As a former art student, I have a surplus of art that I’ve made and collected over the years, as well as a few pieces that have been handed down to me. I’m still trying to decide which pieces to hang in my bedroom.
Where to Find Art:
- If you’re searching for art for your bedroom, start by visiting local galleries for inspiration. Even if you don’t purchase anything, you’ll begin to learn what you like.
- Shopping for art online at places like Etsy or Minted can take away some of the intimidation factor, and you’ll find an amazing selection.
- I also love to peruse vintage stores for one of a kind paintings and other special pieces.
- If you are on a budget, seek out sales at your local art college or look for photography and original prints, which are often more affordable options.
Choose the Right Lighting
Lighting is important in any room, and it’s an essential part of creating a luxurious bedroom escape. By choosing distinctive fixtures and lamps, you’ll add much needed light, as well as charm and character.
Overhead lighting is essential for brightening up your room during the day. Choose an oversized chandelier to add instant drama to your bedroom, or select a bold, striking fixture for a more modern room.
Don’t forget task lighting. There is nothing worse than jumping out of bed to turn out the lights, so make sure to add lamps to your bedside tables. These lamps should provide soft light for reading and other late night tasks. If you’re short on space, use sconces instead of table lamps.
Add lights in other necessary spaces throughout your bedroom, too, such as on dressers and vanities or in dark closets.
Focus on Comfort
If you want to create a luxurious bedroom retreat, comfort is key! Keep comfort in mind with every decorating decision you make.
Start by replacing polyester pillow inserts with down and choose a sumptuous duvet to top your bed, too. Bed linens should feel smooth and luxurious against your skin. Cover hard floors with rugs that feel soft and warm underfoot. Splurge on a good mattress … it is so worth it!
If you have room, add a cozy chair in a corner or a bench at the foot of your bed. Not only will you have a comfortable place to sit, but your room will instantly feel more sumptuous.
I hope these tips have given your lots of ideas for how to create a luxurious bedroom retreat! What is your favorite way to add comfort and style to your bedroom?