My husband and I usually like to spend Valentine’s Day at home. It’s quiet and relaxing. No jam-packed restaurants for us! That doesn’t mean that I don’t like to do anything special though.
I love to cook a decadent meal to set the mood, and I pay a little extra attention to my appearance, too. A cute outfit is definitely in order, as well as a romantic hair style.
Today, I’m sharing a sweet waves and braids hair tutorial that’s perfect of Valentine’s Day!
I’m in love with this pretty hair style! After I took the photos, I wore it to work and received a ton of compliments. So keep this style in mind for any day, not just special occasions.
On a side note, it’s freezing here! I grudgingly covered my newly-styled hair with a hat, and I’m happy to say that my hair looked just as cute at the end of the day as it did at the beginning. Success!
Want to try this easy waves and braids hair tutorial? Here’s what you’ll need:
For loose waves, I prefer to use a curling rod (I’ve linked the one I use above). It’s super quick and easy to use, not to mention nearly foolproof.
- Start with dry hair (second day hair is fine). Comb out any tangles and apply dry shampoo at the roots for texture and volume.
- Part your hair (center or side parts will both work), then create two sections on either side of your head, even with your ear. Pin out of the way.
- Use a curling rod to add waves to the back section of your hair. Start the curls around the middle of your head.
- Let hair cool and then lightly run fingers through hair to separate waves.
- Starting right above your ears, braid hair in two front sections. Leave out your bangs, like I did, if you have them. Secure braids with hair ties.
- Gently pull on braids to loosen and fatten them up a bit.
- Pull one braid across the back of your head and secure with a bobby pin behind the opposite braid.
- Now pull the opposite braid around your head, just below the first braid. Secure the end behind the other braid.
- Tuck in ends of braids and secure behind braids with bobby pins.
- Use the curling rod to style bangs, if desired.
- Finish by smoothing out hair and applying hairspray.
- Pin each braid to the other braid rather than to your loose hair. This will keep your hair smoother.
- Weave bobby pins in and out of braids (just below the surface so they’re invisible) for a neat finish.
- Don’t worry if your waves and braids are not perfect! You are going for loose and flowy, not helmet head. 😉
This waves and braids hairstyle looks just as gorgeous from the front as it does from the back!
For the finishing touch, play up your eyes and choose a fun and flirty lip color. I’m wearing Milani Color Statement Lipstick in Rose Hip.
How do you like to spend Valentine’s Day?