I’m heading to Wisconsin later this week to visit my sister and niece, and I couldn’t be more excited! I haven’t seen them since the fall, so a little girl time is long overdue.
My sister lives in the same town that we grew up in. It’s always interesting to go back, run into old classmates, eat at the restaurant where I had my first job, and check out all the changes. Some things never change though, particularly when it comes to small town Wisconsin!
Of course, this got me thinking of travel style, especially what to wear to the airport and what to pack, including my carry-on essentials.
Cardigan: J.Crew (color is no longer available); T-Shirt (old): similar, similar; Jeans: Loft; Flats: Lucky Brand; Sunglasses: Ray-Ban; Scarf (old): similar; Bag (old): similar, similar; Earrings (vintage): similar
My travel style always involves layers, especially when it’s by air, and I could be steaming hot one minute and freezing cold the next.
- Big tote or bag. I like to pack everything in a large tote, or for a shorter trip like my upcoming one, I’ll carry a bag that I can use throughout my vacation.
- Small wallet. Instead of carrying around every card I own, I pare them down to the essentials and use a smaller wallet. Less to lose!
- Sunglasses. For the blinding sun that will inevitably be streaming through my window at some point.
- Entertainment. This takes up the most room in my bag. I like lots of variety, since I never know what will hold my interest. I’ll pack a book (something fluffy, like The Next Best Thing), 3 – 4 magazines, book of games (love my Pocket Posh Crosswords Book), iPad (loaded with games and eBooks), and my phone (my new Fine Fellow case is a favorite).
- Snack. I always pack a couple energy bars, and once I get through security, I buy bottle of water. That way, I’m not dependent on the attendant for a drink or starving and forced to buy an expensive meal on the plane.
- Zip Lock for liquids. Once I get through security, I’ll pull out my lip gloss, hand sanitizer, and eye drops and throw everything else into my carry-on suitcase.
- Extras. Gum, oil blotting sheets, sanitizing wipes, scarf, tissues, etc.
Now I just need to pick out the rest of my outfits, pack my suitcase, and take off!
Do you have a favorite travel outfit? What are your carry-on essentials?
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase something from one of these links, I may receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you). I only recommend products that I love, and your purchase helps to support the free content offered on Hello Little Home (thank you so much!).