I love a delicious veggie burger. It’s one of my favorite meals, especially if fries—or let’s be honest, any kind of potato—are involved!
These Vegetarian Teriyaki Burgers are a game changer. I mean, there’s pineapple on this burger … yum. You have got to try this amazing recipe!
This Vegetarian Teriyaki Burger was inspired by pure jealousy.
The teriyaki burgers I see on restaurant menus are always made with meat, which is kind of a bummer. So after years of watching my husband eat them, I finally decided to make my own vegetarian version.
These delish veggie burgers are made from a mixture of quinoa and chickpeas, and are seasoned with sauteed vegetables, fresh ginger, garlic, and cilantro. A little flour and egg help firm the burgers up and hold everything together.
Then there’s the pineapple … mmm! You’ll cook the pineapple right along with the burgers. The pineapple caramelizes while cooking and adds a ton of flavor to the finished burgers. I used and prefer fresh pineapple, but canned works, too (make sure it’s packed in juice, not heavy syrup).
The burgers are finished with a yummy teriyaki-flavored mayonnaise. I’m don’t know why, but I just love mayo on burgers. This easy sauce takes minutes to make and will have you licking your lips!
Treat yourself to these amazing Vegetarian Teriyaki Burgers tonight!
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 3 tsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1 green onion, finely chopped (green part only)
- 4 pineapple slices (1/2-inch thick)
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. pineapple juice
- 1 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 6 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 4 burger buns
- Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add quinoa and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion and red pepper in oil until softened and browned.
- Add ginger, salt, crushed red pepper, and garlic to pan.
- Cook until fragrant, then remove pan from heat.
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl; mash until smooth.
- Add quinoa, sauteed veggies, flour, and egg to chickpeas and mix well.
- Stir in cilantro and green onion.
- Shape mixture into 4 burger patties.
- Heat remaining 2 tsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add pineapple slices and burgers to skillet.
- Cook burgers and pineapple until browned on one side, then flip and cook on the other side. Remove from heat.
- While burgers cook, mix together soy sauce, pineapple juice, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, ginger, and garlic.
- Whisk in mayonnaise until mixture is completely smooth.
- Spread both sides of each bun generously with teriyaki sauce.
- Cover bottom bun with lettuce.
- Add a burger and a pineapple slice; then add bun top.
- Serve burgers immediately. Enjoy!
P.S. If you like this recipe, make sure to check out all my veggie burger recipes!