I am a believer in making New Year's resolutions, and I'm usually pretty good about keeping them, too. Yesterday, I talked about my resolution to eat a little healthier. Another one of my 2014 resolutions is to get my wardrobe into shape.
Although I have plenty of clothes, I tend to wear the same outfits over and over again. Do you do this, too?
I've gotten in a bad habit of buying a lot of stuff (I'm a total sucker for a sale), wearing it once or twice, and then going back to my tried and true outfits. This year, my resolution is to pare down my wardrobe and invest my money in classic pieces that I'll wear for years. And I'm going to use fun accessories to keep things interesting!
For fall and winter, these are the kind of pieces that I love to wear: classic, yet modern.
- Cashmere Sweaters. I cannot have enough cashmere in my life, and this Halogen V-Neck Sweater is a total steal. Since the price is so great, I'd buy two: one in black and one in heathered camel.
- Open Front Cardigan. A great cardigan can be worn casual or dressed up. This Open Front Cardigan from Eileen Fisher is made of merino and has slightly fitted shape. It's a little pricey, so another more affordable option is the Three Dots Open Front Stretch Knit Cardigan.
- White Tank Top. I layer white tank tops under all my sweaters, and my favorite is the Old Navy Tami. It's long and not too thin. The price can't be beat, so I stock up a couple times a year to keep them looking fresh.
- White Button Down. I love a button down shirt. This Silk Utility Shirt from Vince Camuto is a great update on a classic white shirt. It's lightweight and perfect for layering and can be worn tucked in or not.
- Pencil Skirt. This eShakti Buttoned Pencil Skirt has a cute waist detail. Another thing I like about it, is that it can be customized to my size, shape, and style, and for a pretty awesome price! I'd have it shortened to the knee.
- Skinny Jeans. I'm continually searching for the perfect pair of jeans, and I think AG's 'The Prima might be it. They have a mid-rise, perfect for avoiding the dreaded muffin top, and a dark wash that hasn't been distressed too much.
- Skinny Black Ankle Pants. A pair of skinny black ankle pants, like NYJD's Ankle Pant in Casual Stretch, is so versatile. They can be worn dressy or casual and with heels, flats, or even tucked into tall boots. I wore my last pair into the ground!
- Boot Cut Jeans. I love the awesome 70's vibe of these Baby Bootcut Jeans from CJ by Cookie Johnson. They'll look chic now with a pair of heels and even better in summer with a pair of platform sandals!
- Straight or Wide Leg Black Pants. These Notch Back Pants from Adrianna Papell are the classic work trouser. They can be dressed up with a jacket or dressed down with a sweater.
- Gold Watch. I saved up my pennies for the Kate Spade New York Gramercy Grand Bracelet Watch before my trip to Paris last year, and it has been a great investment. It makes me super happy to wear and fetches tons of compliments!
- Brown Handbag. Dooney & Bourke's Florentine Twist Strap Hobo is an uber-classic bag that will never go out of style (definitely worth the investment). The thing that really sold me on it though is the big tassel. I'm in love!
- Black Handbag. Another great bag is Fossil's Erin Foldover Tote. It's super versatile and can be worn extended and carried by the handle or folded over and worn as a crossbody bag. The gold details are pretty sharp, too.
- Tortoise Shell Glasses. I usually wear contacts, so my glasses don't get much of a workout. It's time for a new pair though. I'm planning to try BonLook. All you need is a valid prescription, and you can order a pair of (super stylish) glasses online for $99, which is a major bargain. My current favorite is Fashionably Late in Dressy Tortoise. I'm going for the smarty pants look!
- Stainless Watch. For maximum wardrobe versatility, I like to have two watches, one gold and one silver/stainless steel. I need to replace my silver watch, and Fossil's Original Boyfriend Chronograph Bracelet Watch is at the top of my list. Fossil makes great watches that never die (I've owned a few!), and I love this one's oversized styling.
- Ankle Boots. I've wanted a pair of Sam Edelman Pettys for a while now. The price is great for a pair of leather booties, and they come in a wide range of colors and materials, including a gorgeous caramel leather (I'm torn between that and black). Plus, the low heal is perfect for walking around the city.
- Black Flat. Børn's 'Halle' Flat has a stylish almond toe and is super comfortable, making it perfect for commuting or just exploring New York. They work well with both casual and more dressed up outfits.
- Black Pump. I've been eyeing Cole Haan's Chelsea Low Leather Pumps for a while, and I've determined that they are the perfect black pump! Navigating city streets in heels is a major pain, but this pair isn't too high, they're comfortable, and they have a small platform, making them even more manageable. Sold!
I love playing with accessories. Look for pieces that are unexpected: a quirky scarf, bracelet, or ring is the perfect way to take a classic outfit from drab to totally fab without spending a lot!
- Scarves. Look for unique patterns, textures, or materials. A classic pashmina in Pantone's color of the year, like Apt. 9's Twill Pashmina Wrap, will instantly update your outfit. I also love the colorful, tasseled Local Market Scarf and the scull-covered Head for the Hills Scarf, both from ModCloth.
- Necklaces. I can't get enough bold necklaces! Don't be afraid to pair one with a casual outfit. How cool is this Crystal Panther Tassel Necklace from Kohl's? You can also add some edge with this Gold Tone Spike Swag Necklace from Apt. 9. And finally, Bauble Bar's Tortoise Crystal Tear Pendant is totally over-the-top but in the best possible way!
- Belts. A belt adds polish to your outfit, even if it's your only accessory. I need to have this super affordable Merona Chunky Glitter Belt in my life! I think I've mentioned before that Forever 21 is one of my favorite places to shop for accessories, and pieces like this Fancy Bow Belt are why. It's totally channeling Kate Spade and for under $10! You may have gathered by now that I love tassels (see scarf, necklace, and bag above), so I couldn't leave out The Limited's 2-Tone Tassel Belt!
- Rings. I like to wear rings alone and in multiples. Knuckle rings are really popular right now, and one of my favorites is ModCloth's Jagged Little Knuckle Ring, which looks like a crown. I also really like the unique shape of Bauble Bar's Gold Armor Ring. Finally, Mr. Kate's Charlotte Rose Ring (available in rose or yellow gold) is the perfect mix of sweet and edgy, and it even comes in a smaller version that would be cute stacked.
- Earrings. Look for earrings in fun shapes and bright colors. These Flower Button Earrings from Target are super cute and affordable. I love the bold combination of blue and orange in The Limited's Mixed Gem Statement Earring. Forever 21's Sailor Girl Drop Earrings are so cool and so cheap!
- Bracelets. A bracelet is the perfect finishing touch to any outfit. Try stacking a few for a fun look. The animal print and pyramid studs on Bauble Bar's Cruella Stud Wrap Bracelet are a great combo. For a bracelet that looks much pricier than it is, try Apt. 9's Love & Heart Charm Coil Bracelet. It's on sale for under $10! I also really like Apt. 9's Triangle Charm Bangle Bracelet, which is also on sale for under $10.
If you need to stock up on accessories, here are a few great sales to get you started:
- Modcloth is having a "Now or Never Sale" with 100's of items 70% off!
- Save up to 60% at Bauble Bar's sale.
- All jewelry at The Limited is currently buy 1, get 1 50% off!
What are your favorite wardrobe building blocks? Did I miss anything?
I'm linking up with Monday Mingle, What I Wore Wednesday, 52 Mantels' Thursdays Are Your Days, Get Your Pretty On's I Feel Pretty, Vodka Infused Lemonade's Tre-Chic Thursday, Life of the Party's Fashion Informant, Simply Lulu Style's What I'm Loving Friday, The Best of Friday Style, Suburbs Mama's Sunday Linky, and Totally Posted Tuesday.