As you many have heard, Radiant Orchid was named Pantone’s 2014 color of the year. Pantone describe the color as “An enchanting harmony of fuchsia, purple and pink undertones …” that “… inspires confidence and emanates great joy, love and health.” Ooh la la!
At its core, Radiant Orchid is a pinky purple. It’s truly a vibrant color that will wake up any interior. Purple can be a tricky color to work with however, and can even skew juvenile, so I thought I’d offer some tips for working with it.
And keep in mind: even if Radiant Orchid isn’t your color, these tips will work for any bold hue!
1. Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize! If you are timid about working with Radiant Orchid or another bold color, start small. Accessories are an inexpensive way to try new trends and a easy way to incorporate a new color palette.
A vibrant rug, gorgeous print, or pretty plant will go a long way toward perking up a plain kitchen. Dress up your table with bold purple chargers or look for small appliances in a fun color. Wouldn’t those look great sitting on the counter?
2. Create a Pop of Color. If you are feeling a little more daring, a sure fire way to make a bold color stand out is by pairing it with neutrals. Furniture in white will recede, allowing the Radiant Orchid accessories to pop.
A beautiful rug in varying shades of purple will ground an all white living room. Add in as many colorful lamps, throws, pillows, or pieces of accent furniture as you’d like. It all depends on how bold you want to go!
3. Ground It with Natural Elements. Pairing Radiant Orchid with natural elements like wood, plants, stone, or jute brings out the earthy side of purple, making it less fussy and feminine.
I love the idea of setting a dark wood table with shades of deep, rich purple. It’s the perfect way to bring the color outdoors!
4. Mix with Complementary Colors. Radiant Orchid pairs well with a number of colors. Pantone recommends hunter green, olive, teal, and turquoise. I also love it paired with gray or acid green. It works well with metalics, too (purple and gold is a classic combination).
When choosing a color to pair it with, think about the look you want to achieve. Do you want your space to feel relaxed or energized? For example, Radiant Orchid and turquoise have a vibrant, retro feel, while purple and gray are more subdued.
5. Create a Bold, Monocromatic Look. Using varying shades of a single color creates a rich, layered feel in a room. Add furniture and fabrics with pattern to further heighten the effect.
This design is a little trickier to achieve. I recommend starting with a piece of furniture, like this gorgeous headboard, and gradually adding rugs, bedding, art, and other furniture. Balance the room by choosing some shades that are intense, like the chair or headboard, and others that are more neutral, like the sheets. Take your time, and gradually, it will all come together!
Color is a great way to express yourself and bring personality to your home. So, most important of all: have fun!
Do you pay attention to color trends? Is Radiant Orchid a color you’d use in your home?