Does your wardrobe need an update? I've rounded up five fall fashion trends anyone can wear!
This post contains affiliate links.
I am so excited about today's post! Like pretty much everyone else, fall is my favorite season. I'm all about cozy sweaters, cute boots, and my favorite jeans. #falluniform
Of course, I like to make a few updates to my wardrobe every season to keep it current. Staying on top of trends can be tiring though, and I don't like to buy things that I'll only wear a few times before they go out of style.
So I thought it would be fun to head to the mall and try on some of my favorite fall fashion trends ... and take pictures so you can see how they look on a real person! I used my camera phone for these photos in bad, not very flattering dressing room lighting (please forgive my awkward poses and faces), but you get the picture.
The styles I picked are trendy this year, but classic enough that you'll be able to wear them for year to come. They're also trends that anyone can wear, regardless of age or size.
Let's get started!
Fall Fashion Trend #1: Flared Jeans
I'm really excited that flared jeans are back this fall ... now to find the perfect pair!
Flared jeans have a fun retro vibe, and they're guaranteed to make your legs look longer and accentuate your curves. They look great on women of all sizes and shapes.
There's no reason to give up your skinny jeans, but it's always fun to have options. Here are a few I tried on.
I tried on few pairs of flair jeans, and these Mossimo High Rise Flare Jeans from Target were my favorite. The fit was perfect, and they were super stretchy. I also love the cuff detail and the high rise sucked me in but didn't cut off my circulation ... ha.
This style comes in a huge range of sizes, which is a major plus.
I also tried on these Wide Leg Trouser Jeans from Loft. These jeans were super cute, too, and I really liked the front pocket detail.
It's hard to tell from the photo, but I thought these jeans were a touch too short. They'd work with flats, but I would have been worried that they'd shrink when washed. I'm 5'9" though and have long legs, so if you're shorter than me they'd probably be fine.
Fit tip: go for a snug fit in the thighs and butt, otherwise your flare jeans will look baggy and sloppy. Look for a pair with stretch, and they'll be super comfy. For more styling tips, check out my How to Wear Flared Jeans post.
- Mossimo High Rise Flare Jeans: These are the jeans I tried on at Target and loved! They come in regular, petite, tall, and plus sizes, and would look great with casual outfits, as well as trendy fall boho looks.
- Old Navy High Rise Vintage Flair Jeans: I love the darker wash on this pair of flairs from Old Navy! They'd work great with dressier clothes. Old Navy has lots of different wash, inseam, and size options, and of course they're super affordable.
- Loft Wide Leg Trouser Jeans: These are the jeans I tried on at Loft. There are only a few sizes left unfortunately, so snap them up if you like them!
- J Brand Maria Velvet Flair Jeans: I love these velvet jeans! They'd be perfect for dressing up during the holidays (just add a pretty blouse or sweater). There is a Midnight Purple color option that's gorgeous, too (limited sizes though).
- James Jeans High Rise Flair Jeans: I really like the medium wash on this pair of flares, and the fact that they don't have a lot of distressing. They would be super versatile.
- Old Navy High Rise Vintage Flair Cord Jeans: Cords are best at this time of year ... so cozy! The color is also beautiful (and as you'll see below, another one of my other trends!). Again, there is a great range of sizes to choose from.
- Paige 'Transcend - Bell Canyon' High Rise Flare Jeans: I love the fit of Paige jeans, and these will hug you in all the right places. The dark wash is also super flattering.
- 1822 Denim Braided Pocket Flare Jeans: I'm obsessed with the pocket details on these flairs ... so cute! The faded finish would look great with all your favorite casual outfits.
Fall Fashion Trend #2: Wine
One of the top colors this fall is wine. Actually, it seems to be popular every year right around now, and for good reason!
Wine is a color that flatters anyone, just look for a shade that has warm or cool undertones depending on your skin color.
You may know wine by it's many other names ... burgundy, oxblood, maroon, etc. The name seems to shift, but this is a classic color you'll be able to wear year after year!
I love, love, loved this Shawl Open Collar Cardigan from Loft. It doesn't get much cozier! I'm wearing it with my own striped blouse and Mid-Rise Super Skinny Jeans from Old Navy, both faves that I wear constantly.
This cardigan was pretty loose fitting, so I might size down one, but I'd have to try it one again to be sure.
I loved the fit and pretty color of this Utility Blouse from Loft. It features a pretty floral pattern that's another one of my trends below.
This blouse comes in a bunch of patterns and colors. It fit my large bust really well, so I may have to pick up a few!
The shape of this swingy Boyfriend Cardigan also from Loft was so fun and flattering! I'd wear this cozy sweater nonstop this winter and fall, and it comes in a bunch of colors. #bonus
- Loft Shawl Open Collar Cardigan: This is the cozy sweater I tried on and loved! It comes in a range of colors if wine isn't your thing.
- SARTO By Franco Sarto 'Garfield' Western Bootie: How cute are these booties? I love the buckle and this color would go with everything in my fall and winter wardrobe.
- Caslon Double Knit Shift Dress: This dress looks so comfortable. Wear it on its own now, then pair it with tights, boots, and a sweater or jacket to make it work all winter long!
- Madewell Tassel Bangle Cuff: You probably know that I love a tassel, and this bracelet is so chic! Wear it on its own or stack it with other bracelets.
- Loft Midnight Vine Utility Blouse: This is the blouse I tried on above. Love the style and the fact that it comes in a wide variety or colors and patterns.
- Sam & Libby Women's Faux Leather Clutch Handbag: This chic bag is super versatile. Tuck the chain in and use it as a clutch or wear it as a cross body bag.
- Loft Boyfriend Cardigan: This is the cute, swingy cardi I tried on above, although it doesn't look like it from the pic. It comes in a great range of colors.
- Cole Haan Funnel Neck Wool Coat: This gorgeous coat has such a classic shape and beautiful color. You could wear it for years! It's a little spendy, although it's on sale right now.
- Halogen Knit Moto Jacket: I love the shape of this fun jacket, and the color makes it unique. Dress it down for the weekend or up for work ... it's super versatile.
Fall Fashion Trend #3: Fall Florals
Fall florals are a really fun trend, they're the perfect for bridging the gap between fall and summer. Heck, it's still in the 80s here in Texas, so why not?
Pastel florals are great for spring and summer, but when wearing florals for fall, look for deeper, moodier colors. They're more season appropriate, and with a little layering, you be able to wear them well into winter.
I had a great time trying out this trend!
I loved this cute Floral Smocked Top from Loft. This is a piece that could be worn year round, especially if you live in a warmer climate (add layers otherwise). For fall, I'd wear this top with a cardigan or blazer for extra warmth.
The fit on this top was very flowy and loose. I'd probably size down if the smaller size fit my bust.
This Floral Embroidered Blouse from Loft is my favorite of everything I tried on. It's really hard to tell, but the neckline features beautiful floral embroidery and the sleeves have a unique detail, as well. It's also the perfect way to wear the floral trend if you don't like floral patterns!
I loved the fit and would wear this top with both casual and dressy outfits. In the top photo, I'm trying it on with Loft Modern Skinny Jeans in a grey wash, which I loved. In the bottom photo, I'm wearing it with a wrap skirt from Loft, which I can't find on their website unfortunately.
The third top I tried on at Loft was this Loft Mixed Ivy Ruffle Shell. It was super cute, and I loved the ruffle detail. Like the first top from Loft, I'd layer this and wear it year round. Again, this top was pretty loose, so I'd probably size down.
I spotted this gorgeous Floral Tie-Neck Dress at Banana Republic but didn't try it on. So pretty!
This would look look gorgeous for fall paired with tight and boots, wouldn't it? I'd add a warm sweater as the temperature dropped.
- Banana Republic Floral Tie Neck Dress: That pretty dress I spotted at Banana Republic ... doesn't it look great on? So romantic!
- Jen7 Floral Print Stretch Skinny Jeans: How fun are these printed jeans? Dress them down or up for the holidays.
- Loft Floral Embroidered Blouse: This is that gorgeous blouse I'm wearing above. I wish the pictures did it better justice ... so pretty!
- Kate Spade Hawthorne Lane Roses Wallet: I love this cute wallet, and it could definitely be used year round. Accessories are the perfect way to rock this trend if you're not really a floral person.
- Who What Wear Floral Bomber Jacket: Bomber jackets are also very on trend this fall, and this floral version is so fun. Dress this jacket down with jeans or pair it with a black skirt or pants for the office.
- Caslon ¾-Sleeve Print Shirtdress: I love the easy shape and sweet print on this dress. Layer this dress with a turtleneck or cardigan, tights, and boots, and you'll be able to wear it throughout fall and winter.
- Who What Wear Ruffle Neck Maxi Dress: I really like this maxi dress with a dark floral print. Dress it up with heels for an event or down with tights and boots.
- Loft Floral Smocked Flutter Top: The pretty floral top I tried on at Loft ... a great year round piece!
- Mossimo Supply Co. Floral Tote Bag: Isn't this bag pretty? It's a great way to wear the floral trend if you're pattern shy.
- Loft Mixed Ivy Ruffle Shell: The cute floral top from Loft that paired perfectly with a cozy cardigan and skinny jeans. Love it!
Fall Fashion Trend #4: Fringe
There is a strong boho element to this year's fall fashion, and fringe is a fun way to accentuate your bohemian side (no matter how small that is).
This is such a cool trend! If you're not sure you can pull it off, try an accessory. Want to go all out? Pick up a fringed poncho or sweater.
I didn't actually try on any fringed clothing, but I did fall in love with this two bags. The Cross Body Bag on the left is from Target and super affordable. This bag would add a fun update to a more traditional outfit.
The bag on the right is the Barton Suede Emory Tote from Lauren Ralph Lauren, and it's definitely a little spendier. I think this bag is so chic! It would look amazing paired with a cozy sweater, jeans, and boots.
- Merona Suede Hobo Bag: I love this affordable, oversized bag from Target! The decoration is subtle so it's the perfect way to try the trend if you're feeling fringe-shy.
- Merona Poncho Sweater: Ponchos are everywhere this fall and this one is a great price! Pair it with jeans and booties for a super chic look.
- DV Faux Leather Cross Body Hand Bag: The bag I loved from Target. The studs and chain strap give it a more modern, less boho feel.
- Knox Rose Sweater Vest with Fringe: Doesn't this vest look cozy? Snap it up now if you like it, because it's on clearance for under $20!
- Dansko Deni Clog: Aren't these clogs cute? I love the fringe detail. Pair them with flaired jeans or your favorite dress or skirt.
- Moon River Fringe Hem Sweater: Bundle up in this cozy fringed sweater. Keep it chic with skinny jeans or go full on bohemian with flair jeans!
- Lauren Ralph Lauren Barton Suede Emory Tote: I love this beautiful tote I spotted at Macy's. I think it skews a bit more classic and western, if boho isn't your thing.
- Collection B Faux Leather Fringe Jacket: This sleek jacket is a great way to try the fringe trend for an awesome price!
- BP Rib Knit Fringe Infinity Scarf: Dip you toe in the (fringe) water, with an easy to wear infinity scarf!
Fall Fashion Trend #5: Block Heels
Block heels just might be my favorite fall trend!
Living in New York, I wore flats almost exclusively. It's torturous wearing heels when you do that much walking. Thankfully, block heeled shoes are much easier to walk in, and they come in all different heights, too.
This is a trend that will instantly update your look. Give it a try!
I loved these two pairs I spotted while shopping. The Abigail Block Heel Pumps from Target are a bargain. Velvet is also trending this fall, and this pair can be dressed up or down.
The pair on the bottom, Sarto by Franco Sarto Aziza Block Heel Pumps, were also a fave. I really like the burgundy patent leather, and they'd go with everything ... perfect for work!
Block heels pair well with flaired jeans and other wide leg pants. Or show of the heel with a skirt, dress, or pair of skinny jeans.
- Mossimo Abigail Block Heel Pumps: The chic, versatile shoes I showed above. They also come in other finishes, if you don't like velvet.
- Dr. Scholl's Original Collection Lydia Over the Knee Boot: I'd wear these gorgeous boots all fall and winter long ... after I weather-proofed them, of course! They'd work just as well with skinny jeans as they would with skirts and dresses.
- Louise et Cie 'Jayde' Mary Jane Block Heel Pump: Such a cute shoe for work or dress them down with a pair of jeans.
- Michael Michael Kors Dolores Bootie: I'm obsessed with the ruching and heel detail on these gorgeous boots, not to mention the gorgeous wine color!
- Steve Madden Kate Loafer Pumps: Aren't these shoes fun? The gold makes them super funky, but they come in more conservative colors, too.
- Sarto by Franco Sarto Aziza Block Heel Pump: A super classic pump made modern with a block heel. Wear them with everything!
- Michael Michael Kors Bayville Loafer Pump: A fun update on the loafer ... wear them to work or pair them with something more casual for the weekend.
- Vince Camuto Davel Block Heel Pump: How cool are these shoes? They have a Victorian vibe, but are pretty edgy at the same time. There is a zip in the back to make getting them on and off easy.
- Banana Republic Canton Boot: I spotted these beautiful boots in store but didn't snap a pic. They are gorgeous in person, and I love the tie detail.
Other Stuff I Liked!
Of course, I couldn't help but find some things that didn't fit into my five fall fashion trends! Here are some of my faves.
I fell in love with both of these adorable flats from Target. The Kady Pointed Toe Lace Up Flats on the left are an affordable version of a super trendy shoe, and I was obsessed with the straps and pattern on the Micki Pointed Toe Ballet Flats on the right.
In case you're wondering, both were very comfortable, despite the pointed toes. Go up a half size if your toes feel pinched.
I thought this Brushed Plaid Coat from Loft was so unique, yet still very wearable. I may need to add it to my coat collection!
I really liked this Who What Wear Ruffle Blouse that I spotted at Target, although I would size up one as it was a little snug. I'd wear this top for work or casual, and I think it would be perfect for dressing up during the holidays, too.
This Mossimo Convertible Sleeve Dress was also a fave. I really liked the fit, and it could be dressed up or down. The sleeves can be rolled up or down once it gets colder.
Wouldn't this dress look cute with a pair of tights and tall boots?
Bomber jackets are very on trend this fall, and I loved this Mossimo Supply Co. Bomber, which also comes in blue. They only had an XL in store so I'd size down one, but I loved the fit and style regardless.
- Loft Brushed Plaid Coat: Loved this gorgeous coat ... so unique! It would make a great addition to your closet if you already own a classic coat.
- Micki Pointed Toe Ballet Flats: These shoes are so sharp and surprisingly comfortable. Pair them with ankle-length skinny jeans or pants to show off the strap detail.
- Mossimo Supply Co. Bomber Jacket: I loved the shape of this fun jacket, and I don't have anything like it in my wardrobe, but I can think of a million things to wear it with. Get the blue version here.
- Mossimo Convertible Sleeve Dress: This versatile dress had a great shape. Wear it casually or dress it up for work.
- Who What Wear Ruffle Blouse: I loved the subtle Victorian vibe this pretty blouse had, and the fact that it could be worn for work or casual.
- Loft Modern Skinny Jeans in Dark Grey Wash: I tried these jeans on with a number of things at Loft, and I fell in love. I've owned this exact style in the past, and I think it's time to add another pair to my wardrobe. Loved the grey wash, too!
- Mossimo Supply Co. Kady Pointed Toe Lace Up Ballet Flats: Get the lace up trend for cheap with these comfy flats from target!
- Merona Poppy d'Orsay Pointed Toe Flats: I forgot to snap a pic, but these flats from Target were also a fave. The neutral plaid fabric they're made of is perfect for fall.
- Rebecca Minkoff Mini Sofia Cross Body Bag: I took a picture of this bag, but it turned out blurry. I love cross body bags, and the multi-colored tassels on this one had me sold!
By the way, almost everything I've linked to above comes in multiple colors or patterns, so click through if you like the style but not the option shown!
Which of these fall fashion trends were you inspired by most?
I'm linking up with I Heart Naptime.