Learn how to make a set up beautiful DIY Map Coasters in minutes!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
DIY Map Coasters
These coasters may be my quickest DIY yet!
I have a soft spot for Paris and France. My husband and I spent 10 amazing days there a couple years ago, and it was such a memorable and enjoyable trip. You can often catch me daydreaming of a return vacation!
Until then, these DIY French Map Coasters are a great way to bring a touch of France home! You probably already have everything you need to create these easy coasters. I'm also sharing a free printable file with artwork to make it even easier.
Keep reading step-by-step tutorial!
How to Make Map Coasters
Here's what you'll need:
- free printable file (located at end of post)
- heavy cardboard or mat board
- utility knife
- self-healing mat
- Mod Podge
- foam brush
- metallic gold or silver maker
Print the free printable file on letter-size printer paper.
For best results, when your printer dialog box opens, make sure that the box under “Paper Size & Handling” is marked “Actual Size” (not “shrink oversized pages” or “fit to page”). That way your printer won’t shrink the image size.
Cut out the coasters (there are six on the page) using the scissors.
On your cardboard/mat board, mark out six 3.5 x 3.5-inch squares. Use your utility knife and self-healing mat to cut out the squares.
Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to one side of a square. Press the map image onto the coaster, smoothing out any bubbles. Set aside to dry and repeat with remaining coasters.
Next, apply a gold or silver edge to the coasters, using the marker.
To make the coasters reusable, cover the front and backs with several coats of Mod Podge (letting them dry in between).
This will create a waterproof surface.
The art can also be applied to ceramic tiles for an even longer lasting surface.
These coasters are completely customizable. Choose your own image and crop it to size.
I found these map images on The Graphics Fairy, my favorite resource for vintage clip art.
French Map Printable
Click the image below to access the free printable:
I don't know about you, but I don't have time to give handmade gifts to everyone!
Here are a few home-themed gifts I found that anyone would love.
This home gift guide is full of ideas perfect for creating a welcoming space!
- Terracotta Vase Bookends. I love these colorful "book" ends - such a fun gift for a book lover!
- To Be or Knot to Be Doorstop. Channel a beach house vibe with this charming door stop.
- Paper Source Custom Stamp. These customizable stamps make the perfect gift for a someone who's just moved. They're buy one, get one 50% off right now, so pick a couple up now!
- Gem of a Garden Terrarium. Give your favorite gardener a little piece of the outdoors this winter.
- Chinese Checkers. A classic game is the perfect family gift, especially when it comes in such a beautiful box! Dominoes and Backgammon are also available.
- Crosley Radio 'Cruiser' Turntable. This portable 3-speed turntable is a great gift for an audiophile. It comes in 5 colors and even connects with MP3 players.
- Kate Spade Saturday Technicolor Salt and Pepper Shakers. Bring a little color to someone's table with these cute shakers!
- Grazing Giraffe Vase. How flipping cute is this vase?!? Any animal lover would adore it.
- Hand Carved Book Shelf Art. These one of a kind letters make a unique personalized gift.
- Poppin Coral 'The Fave' Desk Set. Help you favorite student or worker bee set up a color coordinated office! Visit Poppin's website for more combinations and colors.
- Woolrich 'Allegheny' Wool Throw. This beautiful throw is perfect for cuddling and makes a wonderful heirloom-quality gift.
- Universal Ironworks 'Eat' Recycled Metal Sign. Add a quirky touch to your favorite cook's kitchen!
- Jonathon Adler Universal Smart Phone Dock. Such a fun gift for the phone obsessed!
- Head of the Class Container. Anyone with a sweet tooth would love to receive this unique container filled with candy!
- Kate Spade Food for Thought Placemat. This adorable placemat comes in a variety of bright colors and fun sayings.
- Kate Spade Black Enamel Square Jewelry Box. Fashionista's will love this pretty box.
- C. Wonder Porcelain Coaster Set. These coasters are a great gift for entertainers.
- All Out Of Notepad. Help your favorite friend get more organized with this handy pad.
- Ambrosia Copper Candle. This is absolutely the best-smelling candle ever! It comes in a beautiful (and re-usable) copper container that's hand-hammered in India.