With the holidays just around the corner, I’m getting into the seasonal spirit. I love making DIY gifts for my friends and family, as well as shopping for just the perfect thing. So every day this week, I’ll be sharing an easy DIY gift along with a fun gift guide.
Today, I have a super simple DIY Kids Treasure Box tutorial, plus a Kids Gift Guide!
What kid does not like collecting things? This DIY Treasure Box is the perfect place to store all their secret finds!
Best of all, it’s super easy to make. The box I made for my niece took just a couple hours, and most of that time was spent waiting for paint to dry. I chose bright, girly colors, but the Treasure Box can be customized to fit any kid. Use their favorite colors inside and out.
Scroll to the end of the post for the step-by-step tutorial!
- Melissa & Doug Wooden Car Carrier. I love brightly colored, classic wooden toys!
- Harmonica. Encourage your little musician with this retro favorite!
- Finger Monsters. These mini monsters are the perfect inexpensive stocking stuffer.
- Karaoke System with Disco Lights. A star is born! This fun system has audio voice controls to enhance kids’ voices, a customizable disco-light show, and dual microphone jacks for duets!
- Nails, Nails, Nails. Give nail art lovers this fun book filled with professional techniques. They’ll learn everything from leopard to plaid to lace and more!
- Bear in Underwear. What kid wouldn’t get a kick out of a stuffed animal in tighty whities?
- Play Visions ‘Snowtime Snowballs’. Have an awesome snowball fight without a storm … or tears!
- Hedgehog Coin Purse. This cute coin purse makes a sweet stocking stuffer.
- Cupcake Lip Gloss. Lip gloss + cupcakes = a match made in heaven!
- Art 101 154-Piece Tri-Fold Easel Art Set. Budding artists will be so excited to open this huge kit!
- Paper Airplanes Mega Pack. This cool gift has instructions for how to fold Egret, Pipit, Swallow, and Condor airplanes, as well as more than 275 sheets of paper in unique designs and prints.
- Lacy Fashion Tattoos. These temporary tattoos are super popular right now and would make a great gift for a teen/tween.
- Pass the Pigs. This is one of my favorite games! It’s sure to have your whole family laughing as they roll the dice … err, pigs!
- Pocket Microscope. This powerful, pint size microscope reveals clear, sharp focus at 30x magnification. Guaranteed to fascinate the junior scientist.
- Sleepover Party Mad Libs. Mad Libs are still as fun as they were when you were young!
- Smart Phone Projector. This lo-fi smartphone projector magnifies up to 8x for a large picture that your kids can enjoy anywhere.
- Selfie on a Stick. This goofy gift extends from 9 to 44-inches, making it easy for the selfie obsessed to snap the perfect pic.
- The Art of Tangling: Drawing Book and Kit. Kids will love creating whimsical pieces of art using this inspirational 40-page project book and professional-quality materials!
- Fashion Angel Tapefitti Tape Caddy. This set has 60 rolls of Tapefitti – it sticks to almost any surface and lifts without residue – perfect for decorating pencils, customizing notebooks, making fun fashion accessories, and more!
Want to make your own DIY Kids Treasure Box?
- wood box – these come in a ton of shapes and sizes!
- 4 push pins
- craft paint
- paint palette
- foam paint brush
- flat and angled paint brushes
- silver maker
- black fine point Sharpie
Start by pressing push pins into the bottom corners of the box. This will raise the box while you’re painting it, allowing it to dry without sticking to anything.
Let paint dry and add more coats, if needed. I used three thin coats to get the coverage I wanted.
Let this edge dry completely before closing the box.
Trim down the paper and tape it to the top of your box. Trace over the black lines with the pen, pressing hard. Then remove the paper. You should have an indentation around the letters.
This box is completely customizable. You can decorate it further with more paint, gems, stickers, and other fun items. Have fun!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase something from one of these links, I may receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you). I only recommend products that I love, and your purchase helps to support the free content offered on Hello Little Home (thank you so much!).