This Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CelebrateWithM #CollectiveBias
Looking for a delicious summertime treat? These oversized Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches are it!
This post contains affiliate links.
Is there any better combination than peanut butter and chocolate? Mmm … I can’t think of one!
When it comes to dessert, I often turn to this tried and true combination. Thick, chewy peanut butter cookies are a favorite of mine, so I thought why not add some chocolate ice cream.
These amazing Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches are the delicious result!
You know what makes this recipe for ice cream sandwiches even better? They’re filled with yummy M&M’s® Red, White, & Blue Milk Chocolate candies, making them perfect for all your summer festivities!
Did you know that M&M’s® were originally created as rations for U.S. troops? I didn’t!
Because M&M’s® melt in your mouth and not in your hand, they are the perfect treat for soldiers.
My father served in the Army and my father-in-law served in the Marines, and I have a number of other family members who’ve served in the past or still are today.
I love this vintage pic of my dad!
My dad was quite the story teller, and he shared plenty of tales about his days in the army … everything thing from the food he ate to the antics he got into with his fellow soldiers. Being a veteran was important to him.
Our troops go through so much, both during their years of service and when they return home. It’s important to understand and appreciate the sacrifices our country’s service members make every day.
I couldn’t wait to give back a little something sweet through the “1 For You, 1 For the Troops” campaign, so I picked up a few of my favorite treats: M&M’s® Red, White, & Blue Milk Chocolate, M&M’s® Red, White, & Blue Peanut, and Skittles® Red, White, & Blue.
One of my dad’s favorite treats was a peanut butter and bacon sandwich. Yes, you heard that right!
Although I can’t say I’ve ever enjoyed one of those, these Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches were definitely inspired by his love of peanut butter.
This is pretty much the ultimate ice cream sandwich recipe! Thick and chewy peanut butter cookies (totally delicious on their own, by the way) are filled with colorful M&M’s® Red, White, & Blue Milk Chocolate candies.
Then once baked, those yummy ice cream sandwich cookies are filled with rich chocolate ice cream. Peanut butter and chocolate for the win!
I love how festive the red, white, and blue M&M’s® make these homemade ice cream sandwiches, but you can use any color or flavor M&M’s® you’d like for the cookies.
How to Make Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
If you’ve ever wanted to learn how to make ice cream sandwiches at home, then this is the recipe for you!
It all starts with the thick and chewy peanut butter cookies that are filled with yummy M&M’s®. The cookies are made from simple ingredients you probably already have at home. I made my ice cream sandwich cookies extra large, but you can definitely shrink them down for a more petite treat.
Once the cookies are cooled, simply fill them with your favorite chocolate ice cream. (If you’re in a time crunch, put the warm cookies in the freezer to cool faster.)
Then, pop the filled cookies back in the freezer to firm up.
Just check out the size of these jumbo Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches!
They are oversized for sure, which I think makes them extra fun and perfect for sharing. You will have to eat fast so they don’t melt though!
Whether you serve these Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches extra large, like I did, or make them a little more petite, these homemade ice cream sandwiches are sure to be your favorite summer treat!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups smooth peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups M&M's + more for decorating
- 4 cups chocolate ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix butter and sugars until light and fluffy, a couple minutes (I used a stand mixer).
- Blend peanut butter into mixture.
- Add vanilla and eggs; mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour to peanut butter mixture and mix well.
- Mix M&M's into dough by hand.
- To form cookies, scoop 1/3 cup dough and roll it into a ball.
- Place dough on cookie sheet and flatten (they should be somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick).
- Bake cookies for about 12 minutes or until golden brown on bottom.
- Remove cookies from oven, then let cool on pan for 5 minutes. (If desired, decorate cookies with additional M&M's as soon as you remove cookies from oven.)
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool completely before proceeding.
- Cover bottom side of cookie with 1/3 cup ice cream.
- Top with another cookie.
- Repeat with remaining cookies, then freeze ice cream sandwiches until solid, about 2 hours.
- Once frozen, serve ice cream sandwiches immediately or wrap in plastic wrap or parchment paper to save for later. Enjoy!
Love these Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches and want more?
If you liked these Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches, I think you’ll love these recipes, too:
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Frozen Yogurt
- Creamy Peanut Butter Tart
- Candy Covered DIY Ice Cream Sundae Bar
Make sure to visit the M&M’s® website for more inspiring patriotic recipes!
What is your favorite recipe using chocolate and peanut butter?