These Red, White, and Blue Mini Cakes are perfect for all your patriotic parties and BBQs this summer!
This post contains affiliate links.
Are you looking for a super fun, patriotic dessert idea? This Red, White, and Blue Mini Cakes recipe is it!
I just love these miniature cakes. They're basically a petite naked cake, and they're so fun and cute. Plus, you can easily switch up the colors, making them perfect for any holiday or occasion.
Red, White, and Blue Mini Cakes
With summer coming up, I just had to make this miniature cake recipe in red, white, and blue, right?
I think they turned out super festive, and you won't believe how easy this recipe for mini cakes is!
I'm planning to serve these Red, White, and Blue Mini Cakes for Memorial Day, but I think they'd be fun for the Fourth of July or Labor Day, too.
And if you're not American, you can make them in any color, of course.
How to Make Red, White, and Blue Mini Cakes
Watch my video below for a quick recipe overview, then keep reading for more detailed instructions!
So let's talk about how to make mini cakes at home. It really is simple!
Since there is a bit of assembly time required, I kept things simple and used a cake mix. Make sure to use a white cake mix, because any other color will affect the colors of your layers.
And here's an important tip I learned the hard way ... use egg whites instead of whole eggs. That way your white layer will actually be white ... instead of yellowish like mine.
Oh, well. Lesson learned. I still think they're super cute!
Once your batter is ready, divide it into three equal portions. You'll color one portion red and one portion blue.
I love Wilton gel food coloring. It's very concentrated, which will help you get super saturated colors (add it using a toothpick, bit by bit, until you get a color you love). I was out of Wilton coloring when I made these cakes though, and used Betty Crocker Gel Food Coloring instead.
It worked fine, but beware that I used the whole tube of blue and most of the red tube. So if you want to make more than seven cakes, you'll need to buy multiple boxes of coloring (if you use the Betty Crocker kind).
Once you get the colors right, you'll bake the cakes in 3 9-inch cake pans. It only takes about 10 minutes, so keep a close eye on them.
The last step is the most fun ... assembling your Red, White, and Blue Mini Cakes!
Use a generous amount of vanilla or white frosting between the layers (again, I used premade). My favorite part was adding the red, white, and blue sprinkles ... so cute! I think these star sprinkles would look awesome, too!
Now that you know how to make these miniature cakes, bake these fun Red, White, and Blue Mini Cakes for all your summer celebrations!
Red, White, and Blue Mini Cakes
- nonstick spray
- 1 box vanilla cake mix (plus ingredients to prepare mix: eggs, oil, etc.)
- red and blue food coloring
- 2 containers vanilla or white frosting
- red, white, and blue sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 3 9-inch cake pans with nonstick spray, then coat lightly with flour.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. (Tip: for a white cake, use egg whites, not whole eggs.)
- Measure batter, then divided evenly into three bowls.
- Color batter in one bowl red, and another bowl blue, using food coloring.
- Transfer batter to prepared cake pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let cake cool slightly, then remove cake from pans and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Use a 2.5-inch circle cutter to cut each layer into 7 circles. (Tip: If your cake layers have a dome after baking, slice off the tops with a serrated knife before cutting out the circles.)
- Cover a blue cake circle generously with frosting, then top with a white circle, and add more frosting. Finish with a red colored layer, topping with more frosting.
- Use the flat side of a knife to remove excess frosting from the sides of the cake.
- Repeat process with remaining cake, then top cakes with red, white, and blue sprinkles.
- Serve cakes immediately or store in a cool place. Enjoy!
Love these Red, White, and Blue Cakes?
If you like this mini cakes recipe, make sure to check out my other patriotic recipe ideas, too!
- 4-Ingredient Red, White, and Blue Popsicles
- Berry Cream Tarts
- Red, White, and Blue Icebox Cake
- Individual Red, White, and Blue Trifles
- No Bake Red, White, and Blue Cheesecake Tart
What is your favorite red, white, and blue recipe?