This natural summer glow shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MyJergensGlow #CollectiveBias
Get a natural summer glow the easy way, even if you are a pale girl like me!
This post contains affiliate links.
I’ve been sensitive to the sun and the heat my whole life. Growing up, I remember laying out with my friends and returning home red as a lobster. It wasn’t a pretty sight.
These days, I’ve learned my lesson, and you’ll find me looking for the shady side of the street and taking a hat, umbrella, and plenty of sunblock with me to the beach.
As you can see in my selfie below, I’m very pale. And I’m okay with it!
Who needs the wrinkles from too much sun exposure anyway?
Getting a Natural Summer Glow with Sunless Tanner
There are some times though, like special events and during summer when I know I’ll be baring more skin, that I prefer a natural summer glow.
A little golden color is an instant confidence booster, and what woman couldn’t use that?
You won’t find me spending hours in the sun to get it though (see lobster reference above). Instead, I create my own sunshine by using one of my all-time favorite products, JERGENS® Natural Glow® Daily Moisturizer.
You guys, I have been using this gradual glow moisturizer for years—literally since it came out—and it’s the best!
I love this glow moisturizer for a few reasons. First, as you can see below, it looks totally natural. Second, it’s super easy to apply. And finally, I can add as much or as little color as I want.
Favorite Sunless Tanner Products
To prepare for the upcoming summer, here’s what I picked up:
- JERGENS® Natural Glow® Daily Moisturizer
- JERGENS® Natural Glow® Color Primer In-Shower Scrub
- JERGENS® Natural Glow® FACE Daily Moisturizer with Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 20
If you’ve never used a self tanner before, don’t worry. My pale girl’s guide to a natural summer glow has tons of tips, and I’ll show you step by step how to apply these products to get gorgeous bronzed skin in two easy steps!
How to Apply Sunless Tanner … Step-By-Step
For the best results and the most natural-looking color, you need to prepare your skin by getting rid of any dry, rough patches.
Prepping Skin for Sunless Tanner
The first step is exfoliating.
I applied JERGENS® Natural Glow® Color Primer In-Shower Scrub everywhere while showering. This scrub is really gentle, and it left my skin smooth and soft.
Applying a Gradual Sunless Tanner
The second step is to apply the gradual glow moisturizer. Make sure to choose the right shade based on your natural skin tone.
Fair to Medium is the perfect choice for my pale skin, but these products come in shades for darker skin, too.
Apply the glow moisturizer just like you would a regular moisturizer, smoothing it on evenly and thoroughly. Work on one area of your body at a time.
I like to start with my arms. Then, I work on my legs and finally the rest of my body, but you can apply the glow moisturizer in whatever order works best for you.
Once everything is covered, let the gradual glow moisturizer dry, get dressed, and go about your day!
If you don’t have time in the morning, you can also apply the glow moisturizer before going to bed. I do that a lot, and it’s actually a relaxing bedtime ritual.
I use my hands to apply the glow moisturizer, but you can use a sunless tanning mitt if you’d prefer.
Just keep in mind that you’ll want to wash your palms thoroughly as soon as you are finished applying the product.
Once I’ve washed my hands, I’ll usually use a scrub on my palms, too, just to be on the safe side. JERGENS® Natural Glow® Color Primer In-Shower Scrub works perfectly for this.
I can always tell a difference in my skin’s color after a few hours, but it’s subtle at first.
You’ll want to keep applying the gradual glow moisturizer every day until you get the desired color.
Then, apply it one to two times a week to maintain your color.
Sunless Tanner for the Face
I also tried out JERGENS® Natural Glow® FACE Daily Moisturizer with Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 20 for the first time, and I was so happy with the results.
It gave my face that natural summer glow I was after, too!
Again, you want to smooth the glow facial moisturizer on just as you would a regular moisturizer. Don’t forget your neck!
It’s important to keep in mind that the SPF in the glow facial moisturizer is for incidental sun, not for laying out. Use your regular sun screen over it if you’ll be spending the day outside.
Tried and True Tips for Applying Sunless Tanner Flawlessly
Wasn’t that easy? I love how the glow moisturizer builds up color over time. There’s very little room for error, and you can add as much or as little color as you’d like.
Here are a few tips for the best application:
- Choose the right shade based on your natural skin color.
- Use enough product to cover one area at a time.
- Apply the glow moisturizer sparingly to areas that are drier, like your knuckles, knees, ankles, and in between your fingers and toes. Try applying your regular moisturizer to these areas just before smoothing on the JERGENS® Natural Glow® Daily Moisturizer to minimize extra color absorption. All in all, you’ll want to use about half the amount of glow moisturizer on these areas as you would on the rest of your body.
- Let your skin dry completely before getting dressed.
- Apply the gradual glow moisturizer daily until you reach your preferred color level, and then continue to apply it once or twice a week to maintain your color.
- Wash your hands as soon as you are finished applying the glow moisturizer. Using a little scrub on your palms will help prevent color buildup, too.
- If your hands do get a little stained, use JERGENS® Natural Glow® Color Primer In-Shower Scrub to remove the excess color.
I applied the glow moisturizer for about five days before heading to New Orleans for a quick weekend getaway.
It gave me the confidence to wear shorts every day, which was a good thing, because it was HOT!
Did you like enjoy this Natural Summer Glow post?
Keep reading for more summer-inspired skin care tips:
- Easy Summer Hair and Makeup Ideas
- 5 Reasons to Wear Sunscreen Every Day
- Bold Summer Makeup Tutorial
- Workout Friendly Summer Hairstyle
- Lemon Lavender Sugar Scrub
Have you ever used a self tanner?