Looking for a quick, fun project? These DIY Chalkboard Magnets take minutes to make and are a great way to add personality to your home!
DIY Chalkboard Magnets
Are you a magnet person? My husband sure is. Everywhere we go, he seems to pick up at least one. He even makes his own magnets from souvenirs, bottle caps, pins, and more.
Our refrigerator is covered with these magnets. For a while, I was kind of over them ... all I wanted was a clean refrigerator!
Joel wasn't having it though, and I have to admit that it's fun to look at each one and think of the memories that are attached to it. I created these DIY Mini Chalkboard Magnets to surprise Joel, and we love adding silly messages to them!
These DIY Chalkboard Magnets are fun project for adults, as well as a great rainy day crafts for kids, too! Keep reading for all the details on how to make them.
Mini Chalkboard Supplies
Here's what you'll need to make these DIY Mini Chalkboard Magnets (affiliate links):
How to Make Chalkboard Magnets
This fun craft is so easy that you'll be done with these Mini Chalkboard Magnets before you know. Let's get started!
- Use a paintbrush to apply a thin coat of chalkboard paint to a wood shape, leaving a narrow border.
- Because the wood is so absorbent, so you'll need to apply multiple coats (mine took four). Let the paint dry in between each layer of paint. If you're impatient like me, use a blow dryer to dry the paint between coats.
- Flip the wood cutout over and apply magnets with a thin coat of craft glue. Use more or less magnets, depending on how strong the magnets are.
- After the paint and glue has dried, add a creative message with the chalk.
That's it ... your DIY Mini Chalkboard Magnets are complete!
If you want more control with your lettering, you could also use chalkboard markers to decorate these magnets.
Just keep in mind that these markers tend to stain porous surfaces like wood, so you'll probably need to touch the magnets up with more chalkboard paint when it's time to change your message.
I think these DIY Mini Chalkboard Magnets turned out so cute, and I love that this project can be completed in under an hour!
More Chalkboard Crafts
If you're looking for more chalkboard ideas, check out these fun crafts, too!
- Cigar Box Chalkboard
- Easy DIY Chalkboard from a Picture Frame
- DIY Thanksgiving Chalkboard Art
- Printable Chalkboard Gift Tags
If you're looking for more magnet ideas, then check out these fun Canvas Mounted Instagram Photos. They're so fun to make, and you can attach magnets to the back.
Are you a chalkboard lover, too?