I won't lie: my skin drives me crazy, especially in summer. It seems to kick into oil overdrive around May 15 and doesn't stop until the leaves change colors (if not longer).
Although it seems like I've tried every product that promises to banish oil, I've yet to find a miracle cure. An oily skin miracle probably doesn't exist, but I have found a solution that at least keeps my skin in check.
Note: I didn't include sunblock, but unless you want to look like a wrinkled prune at age 40, please do not skip this step! Check out this post on my favorite summer beauty products for the sunblock I use.
- I just started using Benefit Stay Flawless 15-Hour Primer, and I am hooked! Primer may seem like an unnecessary step, but trust me, it really does help your makeup stay put. This primer comes in a stick that you rub all over your face, and it couldn't be easier to use.
- Next, immediately apply your favorite foundation. I'm loving Supergoop! Daily Correct CC Cream SPF 35 in Light/Medium. Not really a foundation, the "CC" stands for color correcting, and it has just enough coverage to even out skin while still looking natural. After I apply the CC cream, I like to go over my skin with a BeautyBlender sponge to remove excess makeup.
- After foundation, use concealer to cover blemishes and under eye circles. I'm addicted to Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer. There is something magical about this concealer - it really illuminates your skin. I can't live without it!
- Use a large brush to set your makeup with Dermablend Setting Powder. I love the light translucent finish.
- I'm very pale even in summer, so blush is a must. Hot Mama Shadow & Blush All-in-One by theBalm is a peachy pink shade with a bit of gold shimmer. Don't fear the shimmer! I swear it looks natural and add a great glow, too. Plus, how cute is that packaging?
- Finally, seal the deal with Urban Decay's All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray. I have to admit that I had been hesitant to try this, since it's a little pricey, but the stuff works. Just spray it all over your face, and you are done!
This routine is really working for me (the primer and setting spray are key). The oil is not completely gone, but it no longer seems like a losing battle, and that makes me very happy.
What is your summer beauty routine?