This delicious Tex Mex Roasted Sweet Potato Salad is packed with fresh flavors and makes the perfect addition to any meal!
This post contains affiliate links.
Here in Texas, the weather is already well into the 80's, and it feels like summer. (Don't be jealous, because in another month it will be too hot!)
While the official start of summer hasn't quite arrived, these balmy temps have me craving picnics and BBQ. My husband and I have grilled out the past two weekends, and it's been so fun and relaxing to enjoy our meals al fresco.
I've always been a huge potato salad fan, but it can be a little heavy and is best enjoyed in moderation. So I decided to come up with a fresh, new salad with roasted sweet potatoes that would go with all my favorite summer meals.
This mouthwatering Tex Mex Roasted Sweet Potato Salad recipe is the result, and I can't wait to enjoy it all summer long!
Tex Mex Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
My Tex Mex Roasted Sweet Potato Salad is loaded with delicious sweet and savory ingredients ... this is the best sweet potato salad!
There are so many tasty flavors going on here: yummy sweet potatoes, juicy grape tomatoes, sweet corn kernels, black beans, fresh cilantro, and mild roasted chili peppers. An easy to make chili lime vinaigrette pulls it all together.
With its gorgeous colors, my roasted sweet potato salad recipe is sure to brighten any table!
Pair this sweet potato salad with sandwiches, your favorite grilled foods, and more ... this cold roasted sweet potato salad goes well with almost any meal! And it makes a lovely light lunch or dinner, too.
How to Make Sweet Potato Salad
The best thing about this roasted sweet potato salad recipe (apart from it's delish flavor, of course) is how simple it is to make!
You'll start by roasting the sweet potatoes until they are tender and lightly browned. Roasting caramelizes the sweet potatoes and brings out their sweet / savory taste.
If you're really craving grilled foods, you could make the sweet potatoes on the grill. Simply parboil the potatoes, drain well, and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then, cook the sweet potatoes in a grill basket (tossing occasionally) until tender. The grill basket will keep the potatoes from falling through the grill's rack, and you'll still get lots of smokey, delicious flavor.
This Tex Mex Roasted Sweet Potato Salad can be enjoyed warm or cold, so once your sweet potatoes are finished cooking, let them cool slightly. Then, toss them together with your black beans, veggies, cilantro, and mild roasted chilies.
The finishing touch is the dressing for this sweet potato salad ... it's so good! I actually used the Chili Lime Vinaigrette from my Mexican Kale Salad because I love it so much.
This easy vinaigrette is a little sweet, a little spicy, and oh so delicious. It gets its sweetness from maple syrup, and the spice comes from cayenne and ancho chili powder. Fresh lime juice, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil balance out the flavors. Feel free to adjust the maple syrup, cayenne, and chili powder levels to your taste.
Once everything is tossed together (be gentle, the sweet potatoes are tender), this Tex Mex Roasted Sweet Potato Salad recipe is ready to eat. Enjoy it with all your favorite summer meals!
Tex Mex Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup corn (defrosted if frozen)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 (4-ounce) can mild green chilies
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon ancho chili pepper powder (or substitute regular chili powder)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a large baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Place sweet potatoes on baking pan and drizzle with olive oil; mix well, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Roast potatoes for 20 minutes, then flip and cook for another 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and lightly browned on bottom.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- When potatoes are warm, combine with grape tomatoes, corn, black beans, cilantro, and green chilies in a large bowl.
- Whisk together lime juice, vinegar, cayenne, chili powder, and maple syrup. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Pour vinaigrette over salad and mix gently.
- Serve salad warm or refrigerate and serve cold. Enjoy!
Now that you know how to make this cold roasted sweet potato salad recipe, check out these other recipes I think you'll like, too:
- Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
- Tex Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Watermelon Basil Quinoa Salad
- Mexican Kale Salad with Chili Lime Viaigrette
- Lemony Chickpea Salad
- Kale Pasta Salad with Creamy Lemon Basil Dressing
- Greek Quinoa Salad
- Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Freekeh Salad
What is your favorite summer salad recipe?