Learn how to make a fun, colorful DIY Fishing Games for Kids ... it's makes a great gift!
I'm so excited to share this DIY Fishing Game today ... I mean, how cute are these bright and cheery fish?
This Fishing Game was inspired by my niece.
She loves spending time outdoors, and does a lot of time hunting and fishing with her dad. I thought she'd enjoy a fishing game that she can play at home!
DIY Fishing Game
This clever fishing game uses the power of magnets to catch fish.
This game is the perfect way to use up odds and ends of fabric. I chose three bright options, but anything would work.
You'll make a simple fishing rod using a dowel, string, and a magnet. Kids can catch a fish by matching the magnet at the end of the rod with the one in the fish's nose.
If you can glue and sew a seam, then you can make this easy game!
Are you running out of time to make a gift? Then you're in luck, because I'm sharing a fun kids gift guide near the end of this post, too!
Here' what you'll need to create your own DIY Kids Fishing Game:
- 1 18-inch dowel (5/16-inch diameter)
- super glue
- strong magnets
- fish template (scroll to end of post)
- cotton fabric of your choice
- sewing pins
- sewing machine
- hand-sewing needle
How to Make a Homemade Fishing Game
Start by making the fishing rod.
Wrap the twine around one end of the dowel a couple time. Saturate the twine with super glue to hold it in place.
Wrap the other end of the twine around a magnet a couple time and hold it in place with the glue, as well. Set aside to dry.
Cut out the fish template, then pin it to a double layer of fabric.
Cut out the fish.
Place the right sides of the fabric together, then stitch around the fish ½-inch from the edge.
Leave an opening on the tail or the side of the fish.
Trim the excess fabric close to the stitching.
Drop 2 magnets into the nose of the fish, then stuff the fish with batting.
Pin the opening closed, then stitch shut.
Your fish is finished!
Repeat the process, making as many fish as you would like.
Didn't they turn out cute? I can't wait to give these colorful fish to my niece!
More DIY Gift Ideas
If you loved these fun fish, make sure to check out this homemade Kid's Treasure Box, too.
And if looking for more DIY gift ideas, you'll love these easy ideas:
- White Chocolate Peppermint Bark
- Tassel Wine Charms
- Wood Slice Snowflake Coasters
- Salted Caramel Sauce
- Personalized Notepads
- Vintage French Map Coasters + Home Gift Guide
Okay, let's talk about that gift guide next. I found so many fun ideas for the kiddos in your life.
Children can be challenging to shop for, especially if you're not sure what they're into. Never fear, my kids gift guide has something for every kid on your list!
- Fashion Angels Tapefitti Caddy - Any child who likes crafting would love to receive this kit. It has 60 different types of washi tape that can be used for decorating cards, journals, or even walls. The tape remove easily and won't damage anything, which parents are sure to love!
- Flying Pig Bank - this adorable bank is a great way to encourage saving at a young age!
- Spunky Hedgehog - it can't really get much cuter than a hedgehog wearing a stocking cap! This would make a great stocking stuffer.
- Skip Hop 'Giraffe Safari' Stacking Animal Blocks - these adorable blocks are a wonderful gift for a new baby.
- Melissa & Doug Play Baking Set - this fun set has everything a budding chef needs to whip up a delicious meal.
- Jellycat 'Kitten Tails' Book - what kid wouldn't love a book filled with cute kitten tails? There's also 'Farm Tails', 'Pet Tails', and more variations if kittens aren't your thing.
- Hedbanz Game - this lively game gets kids to use their heads in more ways than one while asking yes or no questions to figure out if the cartoon on their head. Sounds like fun, right?
- Melissa & Doug Standing Easel - encourage a budding artist! This awesome easel includes a dry-erase board, chalkboard, locking paper-roll holder, child-safe paper cutter, 4 easy-clip grips, and 2 large plastic trays, that can be removed for easy cleaning.
- 'M Is for Me' Personalized Book - with a personalized first initial and their name right on the front cover, this alphabet book is a thoughtful addition to any child's library and will help him or her learn the ABCs of caring and sharing.
- View Master Virtual Reality Starter Pack - remember the classic view master from your childhood? This updated version will surround your favorite kid with stunning 360-degree environments so they'll feel as if they are really there!
- Singing Machine Karaoke Machine - gather family for a fun night of karaoke! A front-loading CD player makes it easy to cue up the next song, while an RCA output jack connects to your TV for scrolling lyrics, plus two microphone jacks allow you to sing a duets.
- Build Your Own Ukulele Kit - do you know a young musician? This easy to put together kid has all the pieces they'll need to build their own ukulele!
- Ubongo Game - kids will love this fast-paced, addictive, and easy-to-learn geometric puzzle game in which players race against the timer and against each other to solve a puzzle of interlocking shapes.
- Black & Decker Toy Tool Kit - this fun 50 piece set has everything your favorite mini construction worker needs to set up their own shop!
- Lego Yoda Alarm Clock - this cool clock combines two things most kids love: Star Wars and Legos ... win-win!
Free Fish Pattern
To get the free fish template, just click the image below.