Today is the first Monday of May, and that means it’s time for another edition of my monthly series, Motivation Monday. For me, healthy living is all about motivation. It’s about finding the motivation to skip a second helping, go for a walk, or cook instead of ordering takeout . Each Motivation Monday features easy tips and a healthy recipe.
Last month was my fourth Motivation Monday, and I revisited my goals from the previous three months. I’m still having sleep issues, so I’ll continue working on that, but otherwise, I’m doing well with my other goals.
For May, my goal is to spend as much time enjoying the outdoors as possible. In that same spirit, I’m also sharing a few of my favorite picnic recipes from my archives.
Here are my tips for enjoying the outdoors:
- Schedule your workouts outside. At this time of year, I enjoy exercising outside whenever possible. I love taking walks in Riverside Park or around the Central Park Reservoir. It leaves me feeling energized physically and mentally.
- Coat yourself in sunblock. I’m kind of a sunblock fanatic, and I’d rather get my glow from bronzer and self-tanner, than risk wrinkles or worse. Neutrogrena Ultra Sheer Sunscreen is my favorite. It’s super light and perfect for oily skin. I also switch to Lubriderm Daily Moisture Lotion with SPF 15 at this time of year, and apply it to my arms and legs every day. That way if I’m caught outside unprepared, I’m covered (literally!).
- Explore a new neighborhood. One of my favorite ways to spend a beautiful day is walking around a new (to me) part of the city. New York is huge, so there’s definitely a lot to see, but most towns have their own hidden charms. Just pick a neighborhood and spend your day exploring its streets, trying new restaurants or markets, and window shopping.
- Dress the part. The weather can change quickly at this time of year, so make sure to layer. I like to start with jeans and a tee or a casual dress and then add a light sweater, scarf, and jacket. That way I can add or subtract layers as the temperature rises and falls. It never hurts to pack an umbrella either!
- Eat alfresco. I love eating as many meals outside as possible, and you don’t need a porch or deck to do it. Pretty much any meal can be eaten alfresco, so why not head to the park for your next one? Just pack everything up and go. If you’re looking for a basket, this Woven Picnic Basket from Target is so cute and costs less than $20!
Speaking of picnics, my husband and I enjoyed one in Central Park this past weekend!
- Check out this Easy Five-Step Picnic post for my favorite Caprese Sandwich recipe. It’s basically a caprese salad in sandwich form, and it’s so good!
- For a really unique dish, try my Watermelon-Basil Quinoa Salad. I know watermelon in a savory salad sounds a little strange, but I promise that it tastes amazing.
- Wash everything down with my Strawberry Lemonade. You have to try this recipe! It’s the perfect balance of tart lemons and sweet strawberries, and it’s really easy to make. Pour the lemonade into mason jars with lids before leaving home and add fun paper straws when you get to your destination.
Joel even got in on action. I must have said something funny!
Do you have any goals this month?
P.S. Read all of my Motivation Monday posts.
I’m linking up with these link parties, as well as Make Bake Create, Much Ado About Monday, Tasty Tuesdays, The Scoop, Wine’d Down Wednesday, Create & Share, The Yuck Stops Here, Work It Wednesday, Create It Thursday, Pin It Thursday, Link Party Palooza, Flaunt It Friday, Craft Frenzy Friday, Be.You.Tiful, Fridays Unfolded, Fabulous Friday, Frugal Friday, Best of the Weekend, and Inspire Me Tuesday.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase something from one of these links, I may receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you). I only recommend products that I love, and your purchase helps to support the free content offered on Hello Little Home (thank you so much!).