I’ve rounded up 10 things to try this May … get inspired to do something new this month!
This post contains affiliate links.
I love trying new things, whether that’s a recipe, restaurant, or trip. It’s a great way to shake up the same old, same old routine … know what I mean?
In that spirit, I’ve started a monthly series, 10 Things to Try. Each month this year, I’ll share ten seasonally appropriate ideas (recipes, crafts, decor ideas, and more) that are worth trying that month. If you’d like to play along, take a pic of something new you’ve tried, then post it on social media and tag it with #hellolittlehome … sound like fun?
I’m a little behind this month, so let’s get started … here are 10 things to try this May!
1. Celebrate Mom
Mother’s Day is just around the corner! Have you planned anything special for your mom?
I’m all for making meaningful gifts that will be cherished for years to come. That could be a photo album, a collection of family recipes, or anything else that your mom will love! Check out my DIY Mother’s Day Accordion Book for a little inspiration.
Don’t have the time or desire to make something? My Personalized Mother’s Day Gift Guide is full of unique ideas (everything from stationary to jewelry) that your mom is sure to love.
If you’re hosting a Mother’s Day brunch, there’s still time to plan a great menu. Check out my Vegetarian Easter Recipes roundup for over 150 ideas that would be perfect for a Mother’s Day brunch or lunch.
2. Go for a Picnic
May is the perfect time to head outdoors for the first picnic of the season.
I LOVE a picnic, especially at this time of year when the promise of summer is just around the corner! It’s just so relaxing, and if you pick a good spot, it’s fun to people watch, too.
If planning a picnic seems like way too much work, check out my Easy Five Step Picnic for my go to essentials. It takes minutes to throw these things together and go.
Looking for more recipe ideas? Here are some of my picnic favorites:
- Mexican Black Bean Wrap
- Tomato Avocado Sandwich
- Brie and Apple Sandwich
- Kale Pasta Salad
- Lemony Chickpea Salad
- Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Freekeh Salad
- Watermelon Basil Quinoa Salad
- Ice Green Tea with Coconut Water
- Strawberry Lemonade
- Lemonade Shandy
Of course, a picnic is more fun if everything is packed in an adorable basket! If you’re looking for a picnic basket, Amazon has lots of cute options.
3. Plan Something Patriotic
With Memorial Day coming up, May kicks off the first of summer’s patriotic holidays. Why not plan something festive?
Start by decorating with my fun Stars and Stripes Bunting! Then, work on your menu. Here are some of my fave red, white, and blue recipes:
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Individual Red, White, and Blue Trifles
- Strawberry Pecan Ice Cream Cake
- No Bake Red, White, and Blue Cheesecake Tart
- Easy 4-Ingredient Red, White, and Blue Popsicles
Looking for more ideas? I’ve rounded up over 30 Patriotic Recipes, Crafts, and Decor Ideas here (plus, 20 more here)!
4. Treat Yourself to a Pair of Sandals
I don’t know about you, but the minute I get the chance, off come the closed toe shoes and on go the sandals. Then, I live in them all summer long!
It’s always fun to add a pair or two of new sandals each year. Here are some of my faves (click through for more color options)!
- Vince Camuto Perforated Peep Toe Bootie – So cute and perfect for everything from work to cocktails.
- BP Lace Up Sandals – A super on trend style for summer with a walkable block heel and great reviews!
- Sam Edelman T-Strap Sandals – This style is a classic and comes in lots of fun colors and prints … the perfect flip flop alternative.
- BP Wedge Sandal – The beautiful blush color will coordinate with any summer dress … perfect for events where you need to look good but still want to be comfortable, like weddings!
- TOMS Platform Sandals – Cute and comfy for walking around all day.
- Bella Vita Wedge Sandals – What’s summer without a cute pair of wedges? I love the tassels on these!
- Sole Society Wraparound Sandal – I love the strappy details and sweet bow on this pair!
- BP Beaded Pom Pom Sandals – These beauties are just plan fun!
- Sofft Low Wedge Sandal – I love a gold sandal for summer … they go with everything, and this one is extra comfy!
- Dolce Vita Studded Wedge Sandal – These slides are so cute and versatile … love the studs.
- Clarks Wood Heel Sandal – I’m kind of obsessed with this retro inspired pair! They’d look so cute with a sundress.
- Hinge Strappy Wedge Sandal – All those straps are calling my name! Wear these with pretty much anything.
Which one of these pairs is your fave?
5. Get Out Your Colored Pencils
I’m a huge proponent of doing something creative as often as possible. It’s an easy way to let go of the day’s stresses and relax, even if you only have a few minutes.
Coloring has been a trend for a while now, and I still love it. It’s also super easy to get started with as you don’t need a lot of supplies.
Are you already a fan of adult coloring and have books filled with pretty colored pages? Put them to use! I’ve got 10 Easy Ways to Use Coloring Pages that you are going to love. I also share my fave coloring books and supplies in that post, so don’t miss it.
6. BBQ Something
Did you know that it’s National BBQ Month? Me either, but I really don’t need any excuse to grill out!
My husband and I have been grilling out as much as possible lately and eating on our rooftop deck. It has been so relaxing, not to mention delicious.
Grilled pizza is always a fave of ours. It’s pretty easy to make, too, although you do need to work fast. Another thing we’ve made lately is grilled kabobs: veggie + tofu for me and chicken + veggie for him. They were so good!
Hopefully, I’ll have recipes for the pizza and kabobs to share soon. In the meantime, you can try my Grilled Portabella Poblano Tacos with Sweet and Spicy BBQ Sauce … yum!
What is your favorite grilling recipe?
Hey, that’s me!
7. Go for a Bike Ride
It’s National Bike Month, so why not celebrate by going for a long bike ride?
I’ve wanted to get a bike ever since we moved to Dallas, and I think this is the summer. Or maybe I should wait until fall when it’s a little cooler … we’ll see! I’m kind of in love with this one, which is so cute and has a slightly retro vibe.
In any case, I love riding bikes. With the wind blowing through your hair, it’s the perfect way to recapture a little bit of your youth.
8. Try a New Summer Cocktail
There’s nothing better at this time of year than relaxing on the porch with thoughts of summer fun running through your head. Especially if you have a cold cocktail in your hand, of course!
Here are a few of my fave recipes to try now and then enjoy all summer long:
- Cherry Smash Cocktail (shown above)
- Frozen Strawberry Rose Slushie
- Raspberry French 75
- Spicy Paloma Cocktail
- Strawberry Mint Gin & Tonic
- Lemonade Shandy
Would you prefer something non- alcoholic? Try one of these drinks instead:
- Ginger Melon Green Tea
- Iced Green Tea with Coconut Water
- Mint Peach Green Tea Cooler
- Strawberry Lemonade
What is your favorite summer drink?
9. Visit a New Spot in Your City
No vacation plans on the horizon? No problem!
Plan a staycation instead, and spend a lazy weekend checking out new-to-you spots in your hometown. We still have plenty of Dallas to explore, and May is the perfect time to do it (before the summer heat arrives).
You don’t need to live in a big city to do this. Simply try a new restaurant or visit a new shop or even walk down a street you’ve never been on before. Who knows what you’ll find?
Beautiful White Sands National Monument from my El Paso to Pheonix Road Trip!
10. Make Your Summer Plans
Can’t wait for summer to arrive? Start planning for it now!
May is the ideal time to create your summer bucket list. Write down everything you want to do this summer from visits to the beach to recipes you want to try, like homemade ice cream or frozen yogurt!
Then, once summer arrives you’re prepared and can start checking off your list!
What is something new that you are inspired to try this May?
Make sure to check out all of my 10 Things to Try posts for even more inspiration:
- 10 Things to Try in January
- 10 Things to Try in February
- 10 Things to Try in March
- 10 Things to Try in April
- 10 Things to Try in June
- 10 Things to Try in July
- 10 Things to Try in August
- 10 Things to Try in September
- 10 Things to Try in October
- 10 Things to Try in November
- 10 Things to Try in December