Do something fun and new this summer ... here are 10 things to try this July!
I love learning and trying different things. It keeps everyday life a little more exciting, know what I mean?
In that spirit, I’ve started a monthly series, 10 Things to Try. Each month this year, I’ll share ten seasonally appropriate ideas (recipes, crafts, decor ideas, and more) that are worth trying that month. If you’d like to play along, take a pic of something new you’ve tried, then post it on social media and tag it with #hellolittlehome … sound like fun?
Here are 10 things to try this July!
1. Celebrate the 4th of July
The 4th of July is such a fun holiday! It's the perfect time to relax with family and friends, while enjoying great food and hopefully, some fireworks, too!
Get in the holiday spirit with a delicious and festive recipe. Here are some faves:
- Red, White, and Blue Mini Cakes (pictured above)
- No Bake Red, White, and Blue Cheesecake Tart
- Red, White, and Blue Icebox Cake
- Easy Red, White, and Blue Popsicles
- Individual Red, White, and Blue Trifles
- 30 Red, White, and Blue Dessert Recipes
Need a quick decor idea? Print out and hang my Stars and Stripes Bunting!
2. Make a Summer Bucket List
Don't let summer get away from you! Create a summer bucket list before another day passes.
Simply make a list with everything you'd like to do and see this summer. It doesn't have to be anything crazy or expensive. Maybe you want to visit the local ice cream shop once a week, spend a day at the beach, or simply relax after work on your porch.
My husband and I have a few fun trips planned this summer, including a close friends 4oth birthday party and a trip to see the total solar eclipse in Kansas City. I can't wait for both trips, but mostly, I want to take advantage of my new patio!
3. Throw a BBQ
Did you know that it's national grilling month? Gather your friends for a BBQ!
My husband and I love grilling, and we've already done a bunch in May and June. One of our favorites is grilled pizza ... it's so delicious and easy to make. Hopefully, I'll have a recipe to share one of these days.
Are you planning a BBQ this month? Here are a few ideas to try:
- Grilled Portabella Poblano Tacos
- Southwest Black Bean Veggie Burgers
- Korean BBQ Tofu Sliders with Kimchi Slaw
- 20 Mouthwatering Veggie Burger Recipes
- Greek Coleslaw with Feta and Lemon
- Elote: Mexican Grilled Corn
- Tex Mex Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
Of course, no BBQ is complete without a great dessert, and I love the idea of an ice cream sundae bar!
4. Hit the Beach or Pool
I love a beach day ... there's nothing more relaxing! When I lived in NYC, you could find me on Rockaway Beach a couple times a month.
Now that I'm Dallas, and there's no coast in sight, I'm all about the pool. With the blistering temps we get here in Texas, it's pretty much the only way to enjoy an outdoor day without sweating uncontrollably.
Hitting the pool as much as possible is definitely on my summer bucket list ... what about you?
If you need a little inspiration, make sure to check out my favorite under $50 beach and pool accessories before heading out on your adventure!
5. Kick Back with a Summer Cocktail
Now that I have my own patio, you can bet that I'll be out there relaxing with a glass of rose or a fun, summery cocktail most weekends!
Do you have a favorite cocktail? I'm usually about classics, like a Gin and Tonic, Manhattan, or Old Fashioned.
When it comes to summer though, I can't resist something a little more fun! Here are some of my faves:
- Spiked Raspberry Lemonade
- Cherry Smash Cocktail
- Easy Beergaritas
- Spicy Paloma Cocktails
- Raspberry French 75
- Frozen Strawberry Rose Slushie
- Strawberry Mint Gin and Tonic
- Lemonade Shandy
6. Catch Up with Friends and Family
Summer is the perfect time to catch up with family and friends!
Why not plan a family reunion, picnic, or potluck? It's the perfect way to relive memories with relatives you haven't seen in a while.
Want to get together with friends instead? Keep it simple and invite your besties over for a fun activity. Here are some easy ideas to inspire you:
- Set up a blind wine tasting to enjoy with an easy cheese plate.
- Plan a night of at home manicures. While you're at, try a soft, silky hands treatment or experiment with nail art pens.
- Work on a fun, easy craft together, like canvas mounted Instagram photos, custom memo boards, line a day journals, or accordion books.
7. Celebrate Chocolate Day
Did you know that July 7 is National Chocolate Day? Me neither, but this is a holiday that I can get behind!
Celebrate the day with your favorite chocolates or with a yummy chocolate dessert:
- Strawberry Dark Chocolate Bark
- Chewy White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
- Chocolate Fruit and Nut Clusters
- Mini Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cupcakes
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Parfaits (shown)
- Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Hearts
8. Experiment with Your Beauty Routine
It seems like anything goes in summer, so why not experiment with your beauty routine?
I love trying new techniques whenever I have a little extra time ... you never know when you might fall in love with an easy beauty tip or trick.
Why not try one of these ideas this summer?
- Experiment with Bold Summer Makeup (shown)
- Get a Natural Summer Glow with Self Tanner
- Try 4 Easy Anti Aging Skin Care Tips
- Get Soft, Loose Waves with a Curling Wand
- Master the Cat Eye with One Easy Trick
- Beat the Heat with 4 Easy Summer Hair and Makeup Tips
- Try this Easy Smokey Eye Tutorial
9. Enjoy Seasonal Produce
It's always so exciting to hit the farmers market at this time of year! I love trying new-to-me ingredients and picking up old favorites, too.
Take advantage of the fresh produce hitting the stands and plan a few seasonal meals.
Here are a few recipes that use summer produce:
- Cold Asian Noodle Salad
- Fresh Plum, Walnut, and Gouda Pizza
- Harvest Veggie Enchiladas with Crema Verde
- Easy Gorgonzola Pear Pizza
- Vegetarian Quinoa and Sausage Stuffed Summer Squash
- Watermelon Basil Quinoa Salad
- Zucchini, Mint, and Goat Cheese Couscous Casserole
- Savory Tomato, Feta, and Basil Pie
- Height of Summer Veggie Pizza
10. Treat Yourself to Something Cheesy
Speaking of random holidays that I can totally get behind, July 14 is National Macaroni and Cheese Day!
You don't have to twist my arm, I'll be celebrating with a big bowl. If you're looking for recipes ideas so you can take part, too, try my Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheese, Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese, or Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese.
Suddenly I'm very hungry!
What is something new that you are inspired to try this July?
Make sure to check out all of my 10 Things to Try posts for even more inspiration:
- 10 Things to Try in January
- 10 Things to Try in February
- 10 Things to Try in March
- 10 Things to Try in April
- 10 Things to Try in May
- 10 Things to Try in June
- 10 Things to Try in August
- 10 Things to Try in September
- 10 Things to Try in October
- 10 Things to Try in November
- 10 Things to Try in December