I love dressing up for Halloween, and I always have a few ideas in consideration throughout the year. This year, I’m inspired by TV shows and movies.
From Beverly Goldberg to Pippi Longstocking to the cast of Orange Is the New Black, these 3 easy Halloween costume ideas have something for everyone!
Do you watch The Goldbergs? It is hilarious, and in my opinion, the mom Beverly Goldberg totally steals the show. She’s completely overbearing, loves her kids just a little too much, and regularly calls her beloved youngest son a “scrumptious snuggle bunny.”
Beverly Goldberg is all about over-the-top 80’s style, so start with the hair. Get a short curly wig and use a warm curling iron to mimic her curls. Then tease, tease, tease.
Of course, you could always do a group costume based on the whole family, too! How fun would that be?
There is no one quite like the strong-willed, independent Pippi Longstocking! I actually dressed up as her when I was a college freshman, and it’s one of my all-time favorite costumes.
Pippi Longstocking is an easy costume. Of course, red hair and perky braids are a must! If you don’t have long red hair, you’ll need a wig. Part your hair, real or otherwise, down the center and create two braids. Straighten out a wire hanger and run it through your braids. The hanger will hold them in place, and it’s much more comfortable than it sounds.
For the clothes, start with a colorful or striped t shirt dress and layer a bib apron over the top. Sew colorful gingham patches on your apron. Finish the costume with a pair of mismatched over-the-knee socks and a pair of black boots. How cute are you?
Planning a group costume? I can’t think of a better idea than Orange Is The New Black, a show that I’m slightly obsessed with! If you haven’t watched it yet, you are missing out.
The best part about this costume is that it’s totally easy and comfortable, too. The uniform for every inmate (except for Piper and Red) is very similar. Start with a pair of tan women’s scrubs and layer a white tee underneath. Then add a pair of work boots and a prisoner name badge.
Each character has their own quirks that you can bring out with wigs and other props. Here’s what you’ll need for a few of the inmates:
- Alex: for Piper’s former lover, wear a black wig with a middle part and glasses.
- Dayanara: for this knocked-up inmate, you’ll need a wig that’s bleached out at the top. Stick a semi-inflated beach ball under your scrubs for a baby bump, too.
- Tiffany: for the former meth addict turned born again Christian, choose a long scraggly-haired wig . Finish the costume with knarly teeth and a cross necklace.
- Sophia: for the prison’s hairdresser, pick a pretty wig with waves and make sure to do your makeup! Carry a pair of hair cutting shears and a comb, too.
- Nicky: for this former addict, choose a voluminous, curly wig, and you’re all set.
The Costumes for Piper and Red are slightly different:
- Piper: for the show’s star, choose a pair of orange scrubs and a straight blonde wig. Use a hair dryer and flat iron to straighten the tips of the wig.
- Red: for this powerful lady and head chef, you’ll need a chef’s coat and pants. Add a red-haired wig and style the front so it’s spiked around your face.
What is your all-time favorite Halloween costume?
P.S. For more Halloween inspiration, check out my 4 Easy Halloween Costumes post.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase something from one of these links, I may receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you). I only recommend products that I love, and your purchase helps to support the free content offered on Hello Little Home (thank you so much!).